coil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coil?

1981 GS1000GLX. Intermittent firing on the number 2 plug. Head pipe for that cyl doesn't heat up as fast as the others. Signal generator and igniter tested good. My question is..If a coil malfunctions can it affect just one plug or as a rule does it affect both on that circuit. Is it possible that the plug wire itself may be to blame. In the manual it says to test the coil by switching them but one has the male plug and the other the female. I really don't want to cut the wires to change the connectors for obvious reason. I'd try a new plug wire but not sure how hard or if possible to change plug leads in the coil. They seem to be stock coils by the way. Thanks for any info ....Nick

Most people check to see if the coil is bad by moving the wires from one cylinder to another. I don't understand what you mean be male and female?

Most likely the problem lies in the spark plug cap. Look into new NGK's.

If not spark, fuel. It is possible that you have an air leak. Check the vacuum hose to the petcock, It runs to the #2 carb.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-04-2009, 04:59 PM. Reason: forgot something

Comment

Originally posted by KOOLNICK View Post
      1981 GS1000GLX. Intermittent firing on the number 2 plug. Head pipe for that cyl doesn't heat up as fast as the others. Signal generator and igniter tested good. My question is..If a coil malfunctions can it affect just one plug or as a rule does it affect both on that circuit. Is it possible that the plug wire itself may be to blame. In the manual it says to test the coil by switching them but one has the male plug and the other the female. I really don't want to cut the wires to change the connectors for obvious reason. I'd try a new plug wire but not sure how hard or if possible to change plug leads in the coil. They seem to be stock coils by the way. Thanks for any info ....Nick
      What does plug #2 look like? If it is still stock, you can unscrew the NGK plug cap and snip off about 1/4" of wire and then screw it back in.

If #3 is working just fine, I doubt it's the coil, but other more knowledgable folks will weigh in on this.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by KOOLNICK View Post
        Its simple to change connectors, you don't have to cut anything. The plug caps screw onto the ignition wire. Matter of fact, check that to make sure it is screwed on good and tight. But a bad coil would affect two cylinders.

Comment

You likely need a new petcock.

I betcha the plug is fouled from gas coming down the vacuum line through a perished diaphragm in the petcock.

A #2 misfire is a textbook sign of a deceased petcock. Or it would be, if there were a GS textbook.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
          X