What NOW!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What NOW!!

Well I took her out today, running muck better, still a little fumble here and there, but at least I was looking for it. But out of the blue, starts loading up, and acting like it's not getting any fuel. Had to stop at intersection, and couldn't keep the revs up to keep ir running. Had to call for a ride. Got it back, and it did fire up, but won't stay running. Thinking a coil died, but one coil fires 1&2 and the other fires3&4, right? 1&4 pipe not hot, 2&3 are hot. so, points? I just wanna ride, is that so wrong??

cylinders 1 & 4 come from coils #1 & 4 and cylinders 2 & # come from coils #2 & 3. Looks like it could be coils 1 & 4 which i think is the left coil as you are sitting on the bike. Check to see if there is spark coming from 1 & 4 and 2 & 3 plugs.

Not sure what your status is with the carbs and how clean they are. That could cause similar issues that you are getting.

Is the petcock good? try running it on pri to see if there is a flow issue coming from there.
    1979 GS850G
    2004 SV650N track bike
    2005 TT-R125 pit bike
    LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Originally posted by crapwacker View Post
      Well I took her out today, running muck better, still a little fumble here and there, but at least I was looking for it. But out of the blue, starts loading up, and acting like it's not getting any fuel. Had to stop at intersection, and couldn't keep the revs up to keep ir running. Had to call for a ride. Got it back, and it did fire up, but won't stay running. Thinking a coil died, but one coil fires 1&2 and the other fires3&4, right? 1&4 pipe not hot, 2&3 are hot. so, points? I just wanna ride, is that so wrong??
      Could be the cylinder that fires 1 & 4 or it could be points/condensors. One of the points regulates 1 & 4 and the other 2 & 3. I did have my points crap out on me and had to replace them. Eventually I did away with them and put in a Dyna S ignition.

Rick

Comment

FULL rebuild on the carbs last week, and manifold orings. No petcock, just valve and inline filter. Tuning ride, well it was supposed to be.

Comment

If I even have to touch the ignition it will be a Dyna setup. Seriously considering the $500 full electronic upgrade,but if not the Dyna S 'points' and coils. I've already put enough into her that I can't even entertain the thought of something new(er)

Comment

If I even have to touch the ignition it will be a Dyna setup. Seriously considering the $500 full electronic upgrade,but if not the Dyna S 'points' and coils. I've already put enough into her that I can't even entertain the thought of something new(er)
            IMO, the Dyna S upgrade is worth the money and easy to do. It should be around $200 for the green 3 ohm coils and the Dyna S. Probably takes about an hour to do.

You could pull off both coils and wires and switch them and see if it is the coils. Also, looking at the points, see if the contact surface is pitted or corroded in any way. As a temporary fix, you can sand or use a point file and get the points working (if that is the issue). The contact surfaces of the point need to be perfectly flat so there is no gap when the point is closed.

Rick

Comment

What kind of fuel filter did you install? You need a lawn mower filter or something that will flow very easily since the fuel supply is gravity fed. Auto type fuel filters often cause problems with bikes.

If you go for the electronic ignition the Dyna S is a good unit. It's a waste of money to go with anything fancier unless you are building a race bike.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks, Rick. This was one of thous upgrades on my list, but like i said, if I'm having a problem with them I may as well fix it once. Have you had any of the charging issues? Can parts from other models/years/makes be used for that upgrade? Not buying trouble, just trying to look ahead, you know.

Comment

what part of ohio are you in?
                  maybe i can help..im between cincy and dayton.

Comment

Wow, this sounds all so familiar. Don't give up!!!! I had about a month of frustration with the same sorts of problems. Even though I dipped my carbs, one of the mains jets was clogged on me, causing one cyclinder to not fire at all. So I suggest, using carb cleaner after dipping them to get all of the passages cleaned out. This is not my brainstorm, but advice from the many experienced GS members on this forum. But I think the thing that was the most troubling for me was with the low voltage to the coils. I think I bought new ones needlessly. This causes problems that seem like fuel problems. If you measure 10V or less out there to the coils, just do the relay mod and save yourself some headaches. It is my experience that it takes a good 12V to the coils in order to get a good strong spark to the plugs. Hang in there, you will finally get it all ironed out, and then you will be able to just ride. I have been riding now for about a week problem free, and I am enjoying the heck out my old school bike. The bike literally left me stranded 3 times before staightening these issues out, thank Goodness for a understanding son to come bail me out. But now, I feel like I can take it anywere, it's that robust. My GS1000 rocks!!!!

Comment

Thanks, Rick. This was one of thous upgrades on my list, but like i said, if I'm having a problem with them I may as well fix it once. Have you had any of the charging issues? Can parts from other models/years/makes be used for that upgrade? Not buying trouble, just trying to look ahead, you know.
                      Fortunately, I have not had any charging issues. I am not sure about other parts for the ignition upgrade. I know Suzuki made electronic ignitions in the 80's, but the Dyna S is made to work for replacing a points system like on our bikes.

Rick

Comment

when buying Dyna plug wires, will I still need the plug caps?

Comment

when buying Dyna plug wires, will I still need the plug caps?
                          no caps needed on the dyna wires.
                          dyna S/ dyna green coils/ and dyna make your own plug wires will be over 300.00 when purchased new.
                          all these parts went up a few years back..
                          i can retro fit a suzuki electronic ignition system on your bike for quite a bit less than buying dyna stuff and having to pay someone to install and time your bike correctly...
                          ive done several and i have no issue's with the factory suzuki parts when they are fuctioning correctly.
                          PM me if you are interested.

Comment

Working...
                          X