Best place to purchase a replacement headlamp bulb for my 83 1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best place to purchase a replacement headlamp bulb for my 83 1100E

I want to purchase a spare bulb (just in case). I have the stock headlamp shell and I am not looking to upgrade to more power.
    Bike Bandit lists the bulb as "60/55w, H14". Can I purchase this locally, i.e. Wally World, or should I just get one from BB?
    Thanks in advance.

Bulb

Any auto parts store.
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Excellent. So I just say "60/55w, H14" and they can find one?

Comment

Yeah

Yeah! You can find them, yourself, in with the electrical stuff hanging on the rack. The regular (non fancy...like stock for our bikes) usually come in a package of 2 and they're very reasonably priced. The pack will say "H-4" (not H-14) on it and also will list the high/low wattage.
        Last edited by chuckycheese; 07-04-2009, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Thanks a bunch. I've seen the H4s, just not any H14s. I really didn't feel like pulling my headlight apart just to verify.
          Ought to be a lot cheaper than BB, which wants $7.78 for one bulb.

Comment

Just picked one up at Wally World, and discovered that they are also known as 9003. They came in several flavors, a standard for ~$8, an enhanced (30% more output - ha) for $10, and a super duty it'll do your dishes for you at $18. The super duty was also tinted blue (curious, I thought).
            I picked up the enhanced (it was only $2 more) and went home to surf. Turns out the blue ones are recommended for looks, but if you want more light on the road get the clear (which is what I got). I guess I'll see (or not) when I install it.
            Again, thanks for your help, I learned a bit tonite.

Comment

I've found that the 9003 has too much drop on the low beam. The correct bulb is 1260/H4. Hope that helps.

Buddy
              09 Yamaha Venture Royal (my first Yamaha)
              83 Honda VT500FT Ascot (three of them)
              81 GS650G for the wife.
              82 Suzuki GS850GL Bought it 3 times, sold it twice, then traded for a nice 82 GS1100G AND a 93 Honda 750 Nighthawk, even WOW!
              I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those words that should have remained unsaid.
              If ya can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with B. S.
              Motorcycles are like children....They should be seen and not heard.

Comment

Originally posted by Buddy View Post
                I've found that the 9003 has too much drop on the low beam. The correct bulb is 1260/H4. Hope that helps.

Buddy
                I've heard it debated both ways. Never noticed a difference myself. Many packages also say 9003/H4.

I'm partial to the Silverstar -- that's what's been in my GS for several years.

My VX800 is wearing a Wagner superdeeeeeduper somethingorother from Napa. It's very slightly purple, which is, um, interesting but it lights up the road just fine.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Another vote for the 9003/H4 Silverstars! I've had the same one on my 1100G for 3-4 years and the spare (from a two-pack) in the trunk for good measure. The Silverstar is "night and day" better than a stock halogen bulb, and don't believe any nonsense anybody tries to tell you about buying "motorcycle specific" H-4's ... That's just a lot of hype to make you spend more money unnecessarily.

I run my Silverstar on "high beam" during the day (for better visibility to other drivers) and switch to low beam at night. That serves two purposes - the daytime added safety issue I already mentioned as well as longer low beam bulb life when one really needs it ... at night when you normally won't be able to use the high beam too much.

The Silverstars are worth every last penny!

Regards,

Comment

Yes, the packages were mostly marked 9003/H4.
                    Apparently there are Osram SilverStars and Sylvania SilverStars (which Wally World carries). Which brand is ya'll speaking about?

Comment

Sure!

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                      Again, thanks for your help, I learned a bit tonite.
                      You're welcome and I'm glad it worked out well for you! One more thing: Before you install one, it's a good idea to wipe the bulb glass well with a cotton rag in order to remove any oil from your fingers. (If it remains on there, many people think it can dramatically shorten the life of the bulb.)

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                        Yes, the packages were mostly marked 9003/H4.
                        Apparently there are Osram SilverStars and Sylvania SilverStars (which Wally World carries). Which brand is ya'll speaking about?
                        Supposedly the Osram marked packages are the better ones (same company ... perhaps different manufacturing location?), but I bought a "two pack" at Wally World and haven't replaced bulb #1 yet... While I don't put as many miles on my bike as others I've run mine at the higher setting (high beam) most of the time which you would think would lead to a shorter filament life (for that filament, anyway). I personally don't think it makes much difference, given my own experience, but if you have a choice look for the Osram marked packages. The bulbs themselves always say "Osram" as far as I know...

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
                          Before you install one, it's a good idea to wipe the bulb glass well with a cotton rag in order to remove any oil from your fingers. (If it remains on there, many people think it can dramatically shorten the life of the bulb.)
                          Better yet, don't touch the bulb glass to start with (if you can possibly help it). I always hold the replacement bulbs by the metal base or the electrical contacts, being careful not to let the glass bulb touch ANYTHING as I guide it into position. If you do accidentally touch it, by all means use rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip or clean cloth to take the dirt off. These bulbs burn so hot that a simple smudge can distort the light (and heat) radiating out and reflect it back in. This creates hot spots that (as chuckycheese mentioned) can dramatically shorten bulb life.

Regards,

Comment

Working...
                          X