82 GS850GL Headlight Brackets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS850GL Headlight Brackets

I need to replace the headlight brackets that are currently on my 850 L. When I purchased the bike, a fairing had been removed and bad generic brackets, light, turn signals put on. I took the whole light assembly off an 80 GS550L but they had to be modified to fit the folk inner tubes. It seems 550 tubes are smaller than the 850.

The mods are not working out too well as the light is vibrating. I therefore want to get the proper fitting brackets. I have found some brackets off an 82 GS650 on eBay:

Could anyone tell me if these should fit? I guess the basic question is: are the folk inner tubes on an 82 GS650 the same as my 82 GS850GL.

Thanks!

Hi Mr. T22,

I have no personal experience swapping the part you mention. But if the part numbers are the same, it will fit. Here's how you compare part numbers:

(From my little website

Parts Cross Reference Procedure - using a couple of our favorite online resources.

1. Start here:
    Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.

2. Find your bike by year and model. Select the part you wish to reference.

3. Identify the part number, right-click and copy the part number.

4. Then use Babbit's cross-reference utility here:

5. In the pull-down menu labeled "Brands", select "Suzuki".

6. Right-click and paste the part number copied from alpha-sports into the line labeled "Search for".

7. Click "Quick lookup".

You are then presented with every model that the referenced part will fit.

Thank you for your undulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks BassCliff.

(I do apologize for my retarded spelling in my initial post too… I of coarse meant "fork", not "folk"!)

I did the cross-reference but it seems the bracket part numbers on my bike only match those of the 82-83 850-1100 GL's.

If someone knows the actual fork inner tube diameters of both bikes in question, it would be great to get confirmation before ruling these ones out.

Comment

Hi,

Fork Diameter Make Model and Year

I think the '82 650 uses 35mm fork tibes and the 850 uses 37mm.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks again, BassCliff!

Cool link.

That settles it... I'll have to wait and find the right ones.

Comment

I have some sorta rusted ones from an '83 L. I don't know how well they might clean up. PM me if you can't find better.
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Cool, thanks! Let me see if I can find a pair that are in good shape and I can just slap on. If not, I'll come back to you.

Comment

Working...
              X