Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jet Kit - Need Help

Hi there,
    I've e-mailed Dynojet and this is there response... But i don't buy it. Is there any way to increase my jet size for my 81 gs550? I read about re-jetting all the time and have never gotten a 'fail' before. Can anyone give me specific parts to buy? Links to other providers? My jets are currently stock, and am looking to go the way of "stage 3" in size of upgrade.

My message:

Make: Suzuki Model: GS550 Year: 1981 Jet Kit P/N: ? Exhaust: Stock, but moving to 4-1 soon Air Filter: Emgo Pods Airbox: n/a Other Modification: n/a Main Question/Comments:

Trying to find the right stage 3 kit for my Suzuki. You guys don't list it, but a few people on some forums say that there's a kawa kit that fits fine. carb make: bs32ss (4 seprate carbs) Commonly known as "CV" carbs for the 80-82 GS550's Please help me out by telling my which kit to buy.

The Response:

We do not offer any products for your application. There are many bike that use the same carbs, but the jet kit from one make and model to the next are completely different and do not interchange.

Michael Cory Research & Development Phone: 800-992-4993 Michael@Dynojet.com www.Dynojet.com
    Last edited by Guest; 07-06-2009, 05:27 PM.

these are smart people..
    listen to what they say because after a jet kit is opened and installed...its yours forever/no returns.
    your emgo air filters are going to perform like a stock air box if not worse.
    emgo's on suzuki GS 4 cyl. CV carbs are a bad choice.
    there is a reason why the emgo's are 4 dollars each and K&N's are 30 dollars or so each.

Comment

I hear what your saying, I know the Emgo's are "****" now and i most likely will return them as they haven't been opened yet (didn't know at time of purchase). Where are these $30 k&n's you speak of? last i checked i couldn't find them that cheap /ea. *side note* what makes them so terrible?! i've read so many bad things since i bought them but it's 99% people just slamming them, not much real "this is scientifically why they suck" So Re-jetting is not an option? I guess my main reason for podding is that i am moving the electronics and everything back into a custom seat bump. I 'must' have the triangle open and the look of silver pods is part of my goal. are there other silver pods that aren't EMGO that are considered "ok"

Comment

30 dollar(ish) each K&N's/not 30 for 4.
        if they do not make a jet kit for your bike...jet it yourself and take what you get...use the emgo's because you wont have a 100% tuned set of carbs to start with.
        im sure someone here has jetted a set of vaccum gs550 carbs and got them to be "pretty good".
        get there info and use the emgo's.

Comment

Right on, I knew that you meant 30/ea not 30/4.

My big thing is, if i make a scientific guess on the correct size of jet's i need, are all the jets the 'same' (i mean the same within carb type) threaded the same, same length/width, would theoretically work fine as long as my jet sizing is accurate?

Comment

Have a look at: http://www.allensperformance.co.uk/mikjets.html

There's all the different Mikuni jets you can get.

Last one of these I did I put in, I think, ('twas a few years back) 120 mains, up one size on the pilots (42.5?), shimmed the needles up a bit (can't remember how much). You'll probably end up with something a bit different - every bike is an individual when you head off down this route - but my numbers will get you started.

As mentioned above, CVs are blighters to get dialled in sweetly with pods so be prepared for a lot of buggeration.

(By the way, Allens are great to deal with. I don't know how they'd get on supplying across the pond but worth contacting).
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

mikuni round mains are all the same.
              someone on this board should be able to get you close as far as mains/pilots/needle shims/mixure turns ect...
              if you dont get any responces...
              bump this thread back to the top every other day..
              someone will come around with some good info sooner or later im sure.
              if this is all being done for looks mostly...??
              why not make some dummy pods on the side covers/airbox area just to give it that look...V max/radian like.

Comment

If you need a source in the US www.jetsrus.com has mikuni jets, and theire email support is pretty good.

Comment

Working...
                X