Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch?

What's up Gang?

I have a 1983 gs1100e. I need a new clutch. Can anyone tell me what's a good brand and where can I get it from? I want to install myself so any good advice would be appriciated.

Thanks for your help.

Peace! Supavert

WHY do you need a new clutch? You need plates? Fibres? Springs? If its slipping, its USUALLY just the springs...

Comment

Get the FBG (Fast By Gas) fibers. http://www.schnitzracing.com/
      Stock spring should do you fine unless you have mods for extra HP. I have lots of good stock springs or go to http://www.mrcycles.com/
      If you need steels I have lot's of extras.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
        Get the FBG (Fast By Gas) fibers. http://www.schnitzracing.com/
        Stock spring should do you fine unless you have mods for extra HP. I have lots of good stock springs or go to http://www.mrcycles.com/
        If you need steels I have lot's of extras.
        chef...I've been using FBG fibers in my drag bike for a few years and like them a lot...
        But when I tried a set in my street bike and they just didn't work out...they got sticky when hot...(a lot of stop and go around here)...lost my free play....

I put a set of stock zuki fibers in and everything is good....

Just FYI...
        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
          chef...I've been using FBG fibers in my drag bike for a few years and like them a lot...
          But when I tried a set in my street bike and they just didn't work out...they got sticky when hot...(a lot of stop and go around here)...lost my free play....

I put a set of stock zuki fibers in and everything is good....

Just FYI...
          Thanks Bob.
          EBC makes a decent street fiber for a good price or I'd go with stock.
          I haven't had that problem with the FBG.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

gast plates are to agressive in a live clutch bike..
            sliders love them.
            OEM OEM OEM OEM.
            pay a little extra now and be able to get neutrel and still have free play in your clutch cable.
            nothing else is even close to OEM fibers for a GS1100/1150.

Comment

im sure there are a lot of choices out there i just put in a new set in my 750- i got them off ebay 45.00!! new- regular 75!!, there like factory /vesrah ect... they work great, there great in high horsepwer dirt bikes as well despite what ppl think
              check ebay, DONT FOR GET TO SOAK THEM IN OIL
              while in there check the deten roller on the shift drum,and see if its still in good shape, if wore get a new one or used and replace at the same time

120 from dennis kirk
              Item number: 170287103595-- 89 +7 shipping on ebay- i would get springs as well

Item number: 200336784548-77.95 +10 shipping--- these are the same partnumbers ,and same anmount of plates (9)

i was board lol

Comment

and if a GS clutch is slipping....
                its because the fibers are charred/hard and the clutch pack has shrunk.
                monster springs will add a little extra life but your better off to go new OEM and add 3 semi HD springs+3 used stock springs/scuff or replace the steels(new steels are cheap from suzuki).
                this is for GS1100/1150...they need the right parts.
                anything else does not count/have to compare apples to apples.
                Last edited by blowerbike; 07-06-2009, 11:24 PM. Reason: because-just-because

Comment

Originally posted by cyclefvr2 View Post
                  im sure there are a lot of choices out there i just put in a new set in my 750- i got them off ebay 45.00!! new- regular 75!!, there like factory /vesrah ect... they work great, there great in high horsepwer dirt bikes as well despite what ppl think
                  check ebay, DONT FOR GET TO SOAK THEM IN OIL
                  while in there check the deten roller on the shift drum,and see if its still in good shape, if wore get a new one or used and replace at the same time

120 from dennis kirk
                  Item number: 170287103595-- 89 +7 shipping on ebay- i would get springs as well

Item number: 200336784548-77.95 +10 shipping--- these are the same partnumbers ,and same anmount of plates (9)

i was board lol

detent roller?
                  what odd mechanism are you speaking of?
                  the spring loaded paws on the end of the drum?
                  the part that the paws run against?
                  the shift shaft spring?
                  i just never heard of anything called by that name that is in the clutch area or even behind the basket.

Comment

Thanks Guys for your help,

Please forgive me for not explaining why I think I need a clutch or plates, I'm green when it comes to repairing a motorcycle clutch. (hear we go) I was riding home the other day and I was going about 70 mph. I was coming up on a stop light and I was in 5th gear. I let up off of the throttle, and I heard a shuffling sound coming from the clutch side if the bike. When I pulled the clutch in the noise stopped. What does that sound like, Plates, springs or what? Thanks for your help.

Peace! Supavert

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                      Get the FBG (Fast By Gas) fibers.
                      Got em

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                      But when I tried a set in my street bike and they just didn't work out...they got sticky when hot...
                      Haven't noticed that but when its cold the start up can be a bit tricky. Clutch in and hang on cause its gonna lurch about 3 feet forward.
                      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Check and make sure the clutch basket is tight.

Comment

Definately make sure the clutch hub nut did not back off. They do come loose.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                            detent roller?
                            what odd mechanism are you speaking of?
                            the spring loaded paws on the end of the drum?
                            the part that the paws run against?
                            the shift shaft spring?
                            i just never heard of anything called by that name that is in the clutch area or even behind the basket.

detent roller is the arm with a (washer ) type thing on the end of it, it rests against the shift drum ,and if its wore out it will shift hard!!

a performance part on a lot of new bikes,and some older ones is one of those arms , with a ( berring on the end of it, instead of just a (washer) type roller

here is a short cut to a pic ok guys

Comment

Working...
                            X