Clutch switch question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch switch question.

So with my mikuni RS carbs it has the enrichment circuit with a knob that has to be held out for a little while till the bike gets warms.

Well I eliminated my choke cable, it wouldn't have fit properly on the carbs anyway and I like the look of the bike without the choke lever.

My problem is when starting the bike cold, its hard to keep the clutch pulled in while hitting the starter button and also holding out the enrichment knob.

If I loop the clutch safety switch the bike will crank fine without holding the clutch in. But will it crank over while in gear?
    Last edited by Guest; 07-06-2009, 11:23 PM.

I bypassed mine in the headlight bucket.
    Yes it will crank in gear.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Clutch safety switch is in series with the starter solenoid and has nothing to do with a neutral switch. Clutch drag when cold might impede cranking through.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
        Clutch safety switch is in series with the starter solenoid and has nothing to do with a neutral switch. Clutch drag when cold might impede cranking through.

So if the bikes are equipped with safety neutral switches than why does chef1366 say his cranks in gear now? Bad switch?

I guess I will find out when I bypass the clutch switch in the headlight bucket.

All I know is the honda's won't crank in gear, unless you have the clutch pulled in. They do crank with the clutch out, but only in neutral.

I get a feeling that the suzuki uses just the clutch safety switch and doesn't have a safety neutral switch. In that case I would have to be really careful and not accidently crank on the bike in gear and the clutch out.

Comment

Originally posted by CB900SS View Post
          So if the bikes are equipped with safety neutral switches than why does chef1366 say his cranks in gear now? Bad switch?

I guess I will find out when I bypass the clutch switch in the headlight bucket.

All I know is the honda's won't crank in gear, unless you have the clutch pulled in. I get a feeling that the suzuki uses just the clutch safety switch and doesn't have a safety neutral switch. In that case I would have to be really careful and not accidently crank on the bike in gear and the clutch out.
          That's not what he said. You don't have a neutral safety switch.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            That's not what he said. You don't have a neutral safety switch.
            I misunderstood then.

I didn't think they had one... That stinks.

Well I'm still going to bypass the clutch switch, I want to limit the cold start cranking. I have been just really pumping the throttle to get the accelerator pump to squirt and then when the bike fires quickly letting go of the clutch and holding out the enrichment knob. I am sure being able to hold out the knob and just cranking on the bike will enable faster starts.

Comment

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

RS series carbs should have 2 choke clicks you might call them.
                all the way out when dead cold and then your able to click it in one more time to slow the rev's down.
                yours does not do this i take it?

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                  RS series carbs should have 2 choke clicks you might call them.
                  all the way out when dead cold and then your able to click it in one more time to slow the rev's down.
                  yours does not do this i take it?
                  Hmmmm, interesting. It would be nice if they did this, but no they don't.

It seems to be spring loaded, when not holding the knob out it springs to fully off.

I guess I need to take a look at the carbs and see if I can get the enrichment knob to do this.

Comment

if these was a used purchase chances are that someone removed the choke rod and lost the balls...
                    i hate it when someone loses my balls

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                      if these was a used purchase chances are that someone removed the choke rod and lost the balls...
                      i hate it when someone loses my balls
                      Can you point out the balls on this diagram?

Comment

I think I found it... #52, 1 per carb?

Comment

sorry,
                          im limited on my end as far as what i look at..
                          i have a blazing 19k connection speed.
                          they should be easy to see, i forget how many balls maybe 2 or 3.
                          the rod has small divets?? spellcheck!!
                          i had a set of side pulls one time...no balls and just a spring loaded pull to choke.

Comment

Working...
                          X