Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1985 GS450L, fuel gauge issue. Need Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1985 GS450L, fuel gauge issue. Need Help!

According to my service manual, my 85 gs450l has a 3.4 gallon tank. every time i get about 65miles into a full tank the fuel gauge is already reading close to empty. and i know i got at least 2-2.5 gallons left. It reads it when its full, but always goes empty early. Not sure how to fix this, never dealt with this stuff.

use some 3-m abrasive green or red on the inner float sending assy.

it is inside the fuel tank
    drain
    remove the sending unit

clean the copper coil of wire and scraper arm from build up corrosion that is causing the false reading.
    SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

I have a BNIB fuel sending unit from a 1985 450E, if it is the same you can have it for $20 plus shipping, but most likely a clean will fix it, or maybe try bending the tab a bit closer (mine does this occasionaly too, just havent fixed it yet)

Comment

I thought it was a 3 gallon tank? I have never got more than 3 in it.. but it wasn't empty.
        I had 150 miles on the tripo but I had been doing lots of carb testing too.
        (vroom vroooom)
        My gauge was in the red at 70 miles I think.. and I hit reserve at 120

Comment

Originally posted by Headspin View Post
          I thought it was a 3 gallon tank? I have never got more than 3 in it.. but it wasn't empty.
          I had 150 miles on the tripo but I had been doing lots of carb testing too.
          (vroom vroooom)
          My gauge was in the red at 70 miles I think.. and I hit reserve at 120
          I have the service manual for my bike and it states with reserve its a 3.4 gallon tank. I did about 130 miles before filling up yesterday and I still wasn't on reserve yet, looks like I am getting around 52mpg. So I should be able to do about 150-170 each tank.

Comment

Working...
          X