Clack when engaging clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clack when engaging clutch

I get a little "clack" when letting out the clutch after a shift. It's not the click from shifting but comes after the shift when I engage the clutch. I never heard it before I got a shield to lower the wind noise. It's fairly pronounced. Bike pulls well. It's a 1983 Gs 1100GL. Final gear oil is fine. Could it maybe be slop at the universal joint? Maybe just adjustment of the clutch?
    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
    1983 GS 1100 G
    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Have you ever checked the rear spline attached to the rear wheel? Are you using Moly 60 grease on the spline? Other things that are common issues are the clutch hub nut coming loose and to a much lesser extent, failure of the secondary reduction gears for the shaft system - I'm not aware of any easy way to check these unfortunately.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks Ed. I'm having the bike checked over soon by a mechanic who didn't have any immediate ideas when I told him about the symptom (didn't have the bike there). I will relay to him what you have told me.
      1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
      1983 GS 1100 G
      2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
      2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
      1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        Have you ever checked the rear spline attached to the rear wheel? Are you using Moly 60 grease on the spline? Other things that are common issues are the clutch hub nut coming loose and to a much lesser extent, failure of the secondary reduction gears for the shaft system - I'm not aware of any easy way to check these unfortunately.
        What about the clutch backing plate? Ive never heard one get to this point but maybe its what it starts to sound like right before it goes? Possibility? Yes? No? Im an idiot?

Comment

I am hearing something similar in mine. What was the diagnosis in your bike???

Comment

Hi Mr. 1948man,

It's tough to say, but I'll share my anecdotal experience.

Every once in a while I would hear a "click" or a "clack" when launching my 850G. When riding with another 850 rider I noticed the same thing on their bike. I knew my rear spline was in excellent shape with a good coating of Moly60 paste. So I attributed my situation to perhaps a small amount of drive lash made more noticeable by my lousy clutching technique.

So, instead of just revving it up and tossing out the clutch, I started being a little more precise. I now let out the clutch just a little bit, not enough to really bog the engine but enough to "take up the slack" in the drive train before I wail on it. When I do it correctly I do not notice any extra clicking or clacking. The idea is to have the clutch fully engaged before really twisting on the throttle. With a little practice the procedure can be smooth and quick and not leave you feathering the clutch and wearing out the plates.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thank you Mr. Cliff. I was searching last night for some bacckgroud on that noise, and this is the thread I found regarding that noise.

What you are saying is exactly what is going on with my bike. Every now and then I can get it to engage smoothly and quietly, but since I am new to this bike, still don't have the experience.... Just starting to get acquainted

Ohhhhh.....Forgot to mention that after a long winter working on it, I finally have it cruising in the streets of Chicago..... I have to say I am really amazed as to what a great bike it is

Also saw your Jessee has regained its beauty. Hope you are doing good, and on your way to a total recovery :0)

Comment

Hi Mr. cruz del sur,

Please be careful there on the streets of Chicago. I'm glad you like your 850. They'll have to pry mine from between my cold, dead knees.

Unfortunately, I have yet to begin repairs on my "Jessie". Many here have offered to help and I have been keeping my eye on ebay and craigslist for parts. It will be at least a couple more weeks until I start the procedure. Otherwise I'm continuing to heal and will begin therapy on my leg/knee in a couple weeks. After that it shouldn't take too long to get back up to speed.

BassCliff

Comment

Ok, what is this "Moly 60" grease and where does it live? I have used a moly grease for wheel bearings, but is this '60' stuff something special?

Comment

Originally posted by propflux01 View Post
                    Ok, what is this "Moly 60" grease and where does it live? I have used a moly grease for wheel bearings, but is this '60' stuff something special?
                    Hi,

It's a Honda product that is "the" grease to use on your rear wheel spline gear (60% Moly).

You use it here...

All you ever wanted to know about spline grease:

BassCliff

Comment

Mr.Cliff, I am taking it very slowly. I have seen how much power it has and will respect it. Not even inclining it too much on curves, and not getting it over 55 in Lake Shore Drive. I know I have to become acquainted first, and in no hurry to do so. I love that bike. After almost a year of not being able to ride it, I just don't want to get off it. Even go shopping to the market with it.....it is only a block and a half :0)

Thought I saw a photo of your Jesse, and it said that you even gave her a bath....assumed you had already fixed her.

All I know is this: If you get back just a tiny bit of what you gave, you and Jesse are going to be in great shape in no time. We all know you deserve it. Your good karma is on it's way:0)

Comment

Well, I knew where it was supposed to go on the bike, just didnt know where to get it (where it lives!) or whom made it. Thanx!! I will get some for the next time the wheel comes off for a tire or whatnot.

Comment

Working...
                        X