Bought a V&H 4-1 and have ?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought a V&H 4-1 and have ?????

as the title says i bought the header and its running lean like i expected, thing is not as mechanically inclined on bikes as i am on cars. Putting the thing on was a piece of cake, but im and very nervous about touching the carbs, im looking at the dynojet stage 3 jet kit for dennis kirk, would that be worth purchasing, or just trying to find 120 main jets like the instructions say. Im going to be heading out to Sturgis here in a couple weeks and need to get the bike running, and im on a very low budget and need new tires yet too. So any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

ttt

10 char

Comment

What carbs are you trying to rejet?

Comment

Originally posted by dirtracer12x View Post
        So any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated.
        First piece of advice would be a suggestion that you tell us what you are working on.

After that, we can make what resembles some intelligent guesses.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Also how you are filtering air to the carbs, whether you have changed the intake O rings recently & we'll then let you know it's also worth changing the O rings in the carbs if you are in them.....

If you intend to use K&N pods the DJ kit is worth it's weight in gold in my opinion.....
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Follow the jetting instructions from V&H.
            You'd be amazed how they know these kind of things.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
              Follow the jetting instructions from V&H.
              You'd be amazed how they know these kind of things.
              i 2nd that-- and add a k&n air filter there washable,and flow great, (a great filter_
              after you get all that done , invest in a cab vcalibration kit, just do everythinfg by the instructions and there work great,
              the springs,in the jet kit are a big deal as well

Comment

Originally posted by cyclefvr2 View Post
                i 2nd that-- and add a k&n air filter there washable,and flow great, (a great filter_
                after you get all that done , invest in a cab vcalibration kit, just do everythinfg by the instructions and there work great,
                the springs,in the jet kit are a big deal as well
                What's a cab vcalibration kit?

Comment

Originally posted by crapwacker View Post
                  What's a cab vcalibration kit?
                  That's thumbs for Carb Synchronization tool.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I'd get the dynojet kit. The needle is vastly different from stock and they know carbs.

Comment

Know also that if you replace the air filter with a k&n filter, the jetting will need to be changed considerably , not just what V&H recommend for the pipe alone.

Comment

Originally posted by reddirtrider View Post
                        I'd get the dynojet kit. The needle is vastly different from stock and they know carbs.
                        DJ kits require drilling the slide don't they? I've got spares now but it was a no-go for me in the past because I didn't want to do something I couldn't undo.

/\/\ac

Comment

Originally posted by Macmatic View Post
                          DJ kits require drilling the slide don't they? I've got spares now but it was a no-go for me in the past because I didn't want to do something I couldn't undo.

/\/\ac
                          Yes, you must drill the slides, but if I modify a bike to run decently with pods and a 4 into 1 I'm not going back. If that is ever your desire, sell the carbs on Ebay and get another set.

IMHO, dynojet is the only way to go.

Comment

thanks for the input guys, but im just gunna take my 850 out to the dealer and have them do it for me, im not going to mess anything up on this bike.

p.s. they cant get my bike in till monday, will it be alright to ride around town until then:???

Comment

Originally posted by dirtracer12x View Post
                              thanks for the input guys, but im just gunna take my 850 out to the dealer and have them do it for me, im not going to mess anything up on this bike.

p.s. they cant get my bike in till monday, will it be alright to ride around town until then:???

You have a dealer that will touch a 25ish year old bike?!

Comment

Working...
                              X