Help removing valve seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help removing valve seals

I am working on a '82 gs550. I got the valves and springs out, but how do i get the valve seal off without breaking anything??

I looked in the manual and it showed taking out the valve guides. I tried tapping them out gently but didn't want to break anything.

Thanks

Use needle nose pliers to remove the seals & do NOT touch the guides! They have NOTHING to do with changing the seals. Ray.

Comment

soo...just clamp down and pull?

Comment

if the seals have the metal cap all around the outside, I would try and cut it with a dremel or something. The ones with the metal caps are a bugger to get off. I did the "grab it and pull" thing and broke a couple of valve guides (8v GS1000).

Tracy

Comment

Originally posted by ameen View Post
          soo...just clamp down and pull?
          The points of circlip pliers work well too. The type that have the points at a right angle to the handle. Just slip the points down the side of the seal and pull lightly towards you. Once it tilts slightly on the guide, shift to the opposite side and repeat the process. The seals actually come free quite easily this way. Just avoid excessive force on one side only.
          :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
          GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
          GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
          GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
          http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

If you got the springs out you've reached the easy part. Just a piece of rubber with a little spring in it.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
              If you got the springs out you've reached the easy part. Just a piece of rubber with a little spring in it.
              Bill, the 8 valvers use a METAL sheathed seal. They aren't all rubber like the 16 valve motors. They can be fun to get off. Ray.

Comment

I did a set in an 86 GS450. Didn't realize some are metal.
                Thanks Ray
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

To remove valve stem seals (the metal-clad ones), I took a huge pair of cheap needlenose pliers and undercut the tips with a Dremel tool. Grab, yank, done.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I had to take the torch to mine and burn all the rubber off, then pry off the metal that remained. They were a bugger.

Comment

I used unaltered pliers for a couple. You have to twist a bit and grab pretty hard. Mind you, you don't want to scratch that outer surface.

I had a paint can opener lying around which worked pretty well on the rest. It's the kind they give away for free at home depot. The little end lip did a good job getting under the seal and pulling it up.

Comment

I have a set similar to these: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94500

I find them invaluable for prying things loose from spots my fingers won't fit.
                        JP
                        1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
                        1992 Concours
                        2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
                        2007 FJR

Comment

loads of good help. Thanks guys, ill have another go at it tonight

Comment

I just did these a couple weeks ago. Use needle-nose pliers to rip the rubber and garter spring off the top of the seal. Then use needle-nose vise-grips to lock onto the metal can of the seal. Obviously, be careful not to grab the guide. The vise-grips will crush the top of the can, and make a flat tab for vise-grips to hold on to. Lock onto the tail of the needle-nose vise-grips with another pair of vise-grips, and tap on that pair from below with a heavy hammer. Basically just improvise a slide hammer with vise-grips. I had the best results when I pulled the seal over the guide by about 15° instead of straight off. Some seals came off on the first pull, others slid out of the vise-grips three or four times. The rubber inside the can makes the grip a little unpredictable.

I tried using a pick, but it just unbent the hook. I like the idea of the bent-nose snap ring pliers. That sounds like the safe way, if you can find a pair to fit.
                            Last edited by Dogma; 07-08-2009, 12:58 PM.
                            Dogma
                            --
                            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                            '80 GS850 GLT
                            '80 GS1000 GT
                            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

My method is to grab the blighters with a pair of pliers and try and twist them around. Once they've 'unlocked' they normally come off pretty easy.
                              79 GS1000S
                              79 GS1000S (another one)
                              80 GSX750
                              80 GS550
                              80 CB650 cafe racer
                              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
                              X