Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any advantage to intaling a voltage guage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any advantage to intaling a voltage guage?

I was wondering if instaling a voltage guage would be worth wile. Would it let me know if my rectifier was gone, or low battery, or any other problems?

I have one on mine, and it is real peace-of-mind for me... :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by propflux01
      I have one on mine, and it is real peace-of-mind for me... :twisted:
      I have one on the bench waiting to go on and it would have warned me in advance of stator or regulator problems was lucky and the bike dropped dead from an undercharged battery while i was 50 miles from home but right in front of my bone yard/mechanic. It would be like doing the stator papers voltage test every time you ride.

Comment

where'd you guys mount them? pictures?

sounds like a cool idea...besides an oil temp gauge. 8)

Comment

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RgDOAsEU5tZQGBC6lmsym68o0Rl*lCd0JxksVYQ3EIDAq6ePu qTtwduDyvZWEHYAvI9jNyl5YWMkyE6YOWjXkFGJhI8qxGBXCFL tjQq3OnY/feb9.JPG?dc=4675410903610802384[/img]

I have an LED voltage monitor from Dyna mounted above my shift indicator (blue piece in the photo) It uses three LEDs to indicate low, normal, and over charge. It is small and can be mounted anywhere. It ties into any hot wire to monitor total voltage.

Comment

Mike i think your idea is best. The gauge that i have would require one of my buddies to make a special mount. Do you mind telling us how much the meter costs or at least a part number so we can make enquiries.

Mike, If the item is the gadget that Dyna sells with the 3 LEDs on it then it is not what I would like for myself. I really want an actual voltage reading so i can monitor the output and regulation of the charging system.
            Does any one know where an actual meter that comes with some sort of mounting system can be found???

Comment

the cbx has one...with the terrible alternator on it ya need it. If anyone thinks a GS s*cks then they need a cbx to make them appreciate what they have. I think one would be great to have.

Comment

Originally posted by cbxchris
                the cbx has one...with the terrible alternator on it ya need it. If anyone thinks a GS s*cks then they need a cbx to make them appreciate what they have. I think one would be great to have.

Comment

could we get an URL for the one you have? After all the electrical problems i've had, i think i'm going to pick one up.

Comment

If you are asking me the device is called a voltage monitor. here are the details and a picture. you can order these direct from Dynatek or get them from Dennis Kirk. That is where I got mine. There are two models, a charge monitor and a voltage monitor. The only difference is the charge monitor has 3 different color LEDs that will tell you if your voltage is below 12v. at 13.8 or above 14.8 The other has a red LED to indicate discharge, a green LED for normal voltage and another red LED for overcharge.

The Dyna Voltage Monitor is a necessity for any battery ignition vehicle that does not have a charging system such as many race vehicles. The Voltage Monitor gives a clear indication of battery condition at any time with a quick glance at the three indicator LED's. The Voltage Monitor is housed in a small easy to mount case. The control electronics are epoxy encapsulated to form a tough durable unit. The Voltage Monitor can be used on any vehicle with a 12 volt battery system. The Voltage Monitor has three indicator LED's to show battery condition: green, amber, and red. When the green LED is on, the battery is charged. When the amber LED is on, the battery is starting to get low. When the red LED is on, the battery is low and should be recharged before further use.http://www.dynaonline.com/english/cvmonitor.htm

Comment

Here is a tiny digital volt meter in the same $50 price range.

i4c Products
                      Phone 9l8 492-9435
                      Fax 918 492-9375
                      E-Mail info@i4cproducts.com
                      Mail 6924 E. 92nd Tulsa, OK 74133-5318 USA

They are out there, just have to dig a little.

Comment

The digital one looks ok.

I think I'll look for a regular old guage that will fit somewhere nicely. If I have to I'll resort to something like that digital one.

Comment

Re: The digital one looks ok.

Originally posted by chrisdnoel
                          I think I'll look for a regular old guage that will fit somewhere nicely. If I have to I'll resort to something like that digital one.
                          Chris
                          If you have a fairing then mounting should be easy. I dont and the digital would do the job even though i am not crazy about any digital measuring device, Also the 16 volt limit is a bit too low for my comfort. I really would like to see a somewhat higher reading scale.

Comment

Mike Falke, question for you not about the volt meters. The passenger grab bar on your bike...is that stock?

i wouldn't mind one of those on my 550...but i've never seen one for it. any info on it would be appreciated. 8)

~Adam

Comment

Yes that is stock. those GSs came with them. The turnsignals mount to the bottom. I have seen them from time to time on Ebay, noticed them while surfing for luggage rack to fit.... yet to find one.

Comment

Working...
                              X