1981 GS850GL Carb float leg broken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS850GL Carb float leg broken

Help, I was getting my old 850 out of the back of my garage it has not been run in over 4 years. I got a new battery for it so I could get it running the carbs needed cleaned so I removed them and was going to give them a good cleaning, all was well until I had one of the float pins stick. I shot some carb cleaner on them with no luck I tried penetrating oil no luck I was trying to tap them out with a punch and broke the the top of one leg and the other one broke at the base of the carb. any suggestions on what to do would be appreacited.

Hi and welcome to the board. Before someone else who hasn't had their coffee yet comes along let me just say that this (and pretty much every other topic) has been covered to death. It isn't bad to ask a question thats been asked before but you can usually find the common answer pretty easily with the Search function. Kudos for putting the year and model in the subject!

This thread should help you out. : http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ht=broken+post

Most likely you'll be able to fix it using one of the methods in that thread.

This is a great forum, just make sure you have you flame proof underwear on before you go asking which kind of oil is best!

/\/\ac

Comment

Welcome !!
      Sadly those posts have a way of snapping off. In the future it's best to try and grab them with a pair of small pliers and twist them out.

I believe your bike has BS32SS carbs. Someone correct me of I'm wrong. If it's a #4, I have one that can be purchased for a small nominal fee.

Which carb is it ? They are numbered 1-4, left to right, as you're sitting on the bike.

They can be repaired but it may be easier to find a replacement.
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Based on the presence of the idle speed adjuster, I would guess it's #3.

For some reason, that seems to be the most common one to break, and for that same reason, I'm fresh out of #3 carb bodies.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

yes it is the number 3 carburetor I have been looking around my area for a set of them with no luck just yet. I was all excited I got it firing on the 3rd of July I thought I would have it resurrected on the 4th then this happened. these parts are getting harder and harder to find. I like the older bikes my other one is a 77 KZ650B

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Based on the presence of the idle speed adjuster, I would guess it's #3.

For some reason, that seems to be the most common one to break, and for that same reason, I'm fresh out of #3 carb bodies.

I guess I should look at the picture a little closer.....
            They come up on ebay quite frequently. Keep an eye out and you can probably find an entire set pretty cheap.

TheCafeKid has some 750 parts for sale in the For Sale forum....duh. Not sure if he has any carbys though.......
            Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I want to Thank all of you for replying so quickly this site is a great one. I have been on it before looking for different solutions for friends and have had great luck. I seen a set of carbs on ebay not to long ago I missed them they went off around 11:30 and I was not online to get a bid in.

Comment

Just so you know how much to expand your search on eBay, the same BS32 carbs were used on GS bikes from 550 to 850cc. If you get one from a different size bike, you will have to use the jets from your present carb, but the body will be the same. Just make sure you use a #3 carb body, as their position is not interchangeable.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                X