Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"New" seals leaking

Warning: Dumb question

If there is any ring left on the top tube after the fork is depressed, the seals are leaking, correct?

It looks like dirt rather than oil, and there doesn't appear to be oil residue on the tube, but I'm sure it's oil. I cleaned thoroughly and the same thing happens. They are supposedly "new seals with zero miles on them" purchased from a highly rated eBayer. I paid a premium because they were advertised as rebuilt forks with progressive springs. I assume they are leaking, but want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt before contacting him or leaving negative feedback.

Any chance that once I air them up the ring will go away? Wishful thinking, I'm sure.

You don't need to add air to forks with Progressive springs. That's one of the reasons to switch to new springs -- you don't have to fart around with unreliable air pressure any more.

Look under the dust cap and see if the seals actually look new or if they got beat up on installation.

Sometimes you will find that new seals break in over a couple hundred miles. What kind of seals were they?
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks, bwringer. I'm not sure what brand of seals they have. They look new and don't appear to be "pinched" or improperly installed, and the ring left on the tube is very faint.

Good news on the air. I appreciate the heads up.

I'm inclined to put them on and take my chances or deal with it later. I'm anxious to ride.

Comment

You should use a bit of oil on the seals when you install them. This takes a wee while to shift and you'll see a ring on your tubes. You can speed up things by washing above with mild detergent.

If the rings persist you've got a problem with your seals (though road grime can also give a similar appearance, especially if you follow diesels regularly).
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Thnanks. Fingers crossed. If it doesn't clear up, I'll get through this season and then take advantage of Mr. Matchless' how to PDF on BassCliff's website over the winter.

Right now I want to ride, ride, ride and explore my new city of Atlanta and the nearby Blue Ridge mountains!

Comment

Just be carefull and mindfull of if they are geting any worse. Running around on drooling fork seals is only asking for pain. But, I just installed new on a couple of bikes, and if you dont go thru and scrub everything all spiffy, you'll get some residual dirt, residue and etc, making it look as tho they are leaking. Just keep an eye on it for now..

Comment

Working...
            X