1979 GS1000L high idle...4-5,000 rpms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS1000L high idle...4-5,000 rpms

where to begin...i am soooo depressed here it is'nt funny...my 1000 i got from my brother last year. He bought it new in 1979 and it has 10,448 origanal miles on it today. the big problem is that it sat in a barn for like 8 years. HE GAVE THE BIKE TO MJE FOR FREE...SO I INVESTED LIKE 2,000 DOLLARS IN IT,I HAD IT REBUILT NEW RINGS,CARBS REBUILT,ETC...he had put electronic ign. in it in 1982. anyways..after i got it back...this thing had a very high idle like 4-5,000 rpms....couldnt figure it out and obviously neither can the 2 shops where i took it can...here's what it is doing...i'll start it up..it will idle with a little help from me..after it warms up like 5 mins. the idle soars as soon as i hit the throttle. the only way i can get it back down to idle correctly is to pull the choke on and off then it will return to idle smooth. as soon as i touch the throttle again it soars back up to 4-5,000 rpms again....i have not much hair left...HELPPPPPPPPPP....PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For what it's worth, sounds like a carb problem to me (the fix with the choke would seem to be a dead ringer). I think I have seen similar problems (better diagnosed than I can do) posted before. Does this ring a bell for anyone else?

Michael

Comment

Has the throttle return spring (next to carb #2) been removed?

Have the "Push and Pull" twin throttle cables been lubricated at both ends?

Comment

check for air leaks on manifolds remove tank unhook throttle cables start bike work throttle byhand if not enough fuel hang fuel container above
        bike conect with extra fuel hose if it will not return to idle (you should be able to get it to idle around 1000 rpm) it must be in carbs i have seen it where riders trying to syn carbs wind 1 slide down to far holding the other slides up * one i did have on cbx advance /retard stuck on full advance
        this caused the bike to idle about 4000rpm lubed the unit cured
        just a thought ozman

Comment

Working...
        X