Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slightly slipping clutch?

Motorcycle clutches are weird.

Haha, anyway, I'm not sure what my symptoms would describe (new plates, new springs, etc.), so let me tell you guys what's going on. My clutch is, for the most part, fine. If I'm leisurely going through the gears, each gear grabs like you'd expect it to. But, if I really get on it, it'll slip up past about 7K, and it'll slip a bit when the next gear is engaged, then catch, and pull hard up until around 7K, repeat.

From what I've read through searching, this is most likely just my springs?

If you use the search function you will find that most of the time a margionally slipping clutch can be traced to old springs. Of course, you should measure the plates while the clutch is apart so you don't have to guess as to the cause.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Springs are the likely culpret but a set of plates is only a little over $100, perhaps less so as long at you are there............................
      sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
      2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        If you use the search function you will find that most of the time a margionally slipping clutch can be traced to old springs. Of course, you should measure the plates while the clutch is apart so you don't have to guess as to the cause.
        Measure the plates? Like, for the amount of material that's on them?

Comment

Yep, measure the thickness of the plates. All service manuals have the specs for minimum thickness.

I have not seen any that were too thin, but I have not been inside that many clutches, either.
          I have, however, replaced several sets of springs, and that fixed the problem every time.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Odinist View Post
            Measure the plates? Like, for the amount of material that's on them?
            Yes, there is a minimum thickness listed in the manual...
            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              I have, however, replaced several sets of springs, and that fixed the problem every time.
              That's the kind of (inexpensive) answer I love hearing.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                I have not seen any that were too thin
                Heres one thats too thin......or should I say too gone ! This was a Barnett clutch fiber that disappeared. Probably from using old weak springs and energy conserving valvoline car oil.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

AH YEP...THEY'RE SHOT!

GREAT pics, Dave. Why did you run the Valvoline with the additives, anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                    Why did you run the Valvoline with the additives, anyway?
                    Pre GSR. Buy a case. 4 for the car - 4 for the Bike. I have now been enlightened.
                    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I think your bike probably has the style of clutch where the cable comes across the rear of the engine and moves a lever right over the clutch, right? If not and it's like mine where the cable acts on a rod on the left side make sure your adjustment there is correct. I had an itty bitty bit of preload or lack of clearance and was getting a little slip when I twisted hard enough in low gears. Probably a sign of weak springs or worn parts...

/\/\ac

Comment

Originally posted by Macmatic View Post
                        I think your bike probably has the style of clutch where the cable comes across the rear of the engine and moves a lever right over the clutch, right?
                        Correct. =)

Comment

I'd just drop in springs and see where that gets ya.

No need to disassemble the clutch -- just replace the springs one at a time.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                            I'd just drop in springs and see where that gets ya.

No need to disassemble the clutch -- just replace the springs one at a time.

Awesome, sounds nice and easy. Drain the oil, pull the clutch cover, take out a bolt, bring out the spring, put in new spring, tighten bolt back in?

I've ordered the springs from BikeBandit today, so if they ship quick this may be my weekend project.

Comment

Originally posted by Odinist View Post
                              Awesome, sounds nice and easy.
                              You dont have to drain the oil. Just do it with the bike on the side stand. I would get a new clutch cover gasket and some SS allan head cover screws.
                              82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

Working...
                              X