83 gs550e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 gs550e

Have a 1983 GS550 E with the weird carbs! Bought the bike in pieces, bought a book, but still have questions. Questions on what this vent is? where does it go. Hope the pics help you help me! You helped get my 81 GS650G running great thanks!

Originally posted by 4kart5 View Post
    Have a 1983 GS550 E with the weird carbs! Bought the bike in pieces, bought a book, but still have questions. Questions on what this vent is? where does it go. Hope the pics help you help me! You helped get my 81 GS650G running great thanks!

looks like the fuel hose fromt he petcock to the carbs goes there
    yup thats what it is should be a smaller tube to attach the petcock vacuum tubbe near it

no wait its the connection for the hose that feeds air to the diaphraghm
    theres should be one on each carb

union doohickey may be for a California bike with some sort of cannister doohickey
    i dont have one and all my plumbing works fine
    Last edited by Guest; 07-08-2009, 03:28 PM.

Comment

The petcock goes to #3 on the other siamese carb... What that is, is simply and overflow... you can leave then empty but expect to see a little gasoline on the back of the engine under hard breaking from time to time (not very much at all maybe a cc or 2 at a time)...

I brought one from each carb (they face each other) to a "T" I bought at the car parts store and then ran the ube to the back of the bike (overflow tube routing).. you should have two of them and run both to the back but there wasn't enough coming out to cause an issue....

Comment

Originally posted by skreemer View Post
        The petcock goes to #3 on the other siamese carb... What that is, is simply and overflow... you can leave then empty but expect to see a little gasoline on the back of the engine under hard breaking from time to time (not very much at all maybe a cc or 2 at a time)...

I brought one from each carb (they face each other) to a "T" I bought at the car parts store and then ran the ube to the back of the bike (overflow tube routing).. you should have two of them and run both to the back but there wasn't enough coming out to cause an issue....

I doubt anything functioning as an overflow would have a hose routing back and to a point higher than the top of the carbs...the hoses seem to be a means of allowing a vent to atmospheric pressure and the hoses should certainly be replaced.

Thye are of equal length and one assumes are hidden more or less under the seat to prevent water and dirt being drawn into the carbs. This

could be a year or model difference on the t I dont know. Does your tubing route lower and to the back of the engine case?

I have three sets of these superb in no way odd compact carbs and none have the t and all have the full set of hoses etc.

not calling you out just pondering what seems to be a difference in application

Comment

ahh an old mod was to simply remove the tubes so I was told by the previous owner. When i got my bike there were none there. After years of spillage I just hooked it together myself from tubing and a "T" I bought at the car parts store... the tube in my case routes to the back of the motor and down below the rear shock.

BTW with or without hoses in place there didn't seem to be a difference in performance... at least through seat of the pants feel... (I've hooked em that way on two GS550's My E and Nerobro's ES both from '83 with no noticeable issues.)

Comment

Working...
          X