anyone had either of these tires before

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone had either of these tires before

Needing a rear. Has anyone compared or had a michelin madcam 50 versus a metzler 55 metronic?? Not worried about price as much as grip. Both are kinda advertised as sport touring and both are bias ply. Thanks again for the help!!

The Macadams are not the grippiest tyres in the world, good sport/touring tyre, have them on both the 1000S and the Yamaha TDM850, need to be warmed up pretty good before they get grippy.

Comment

cbx, Try the Dunlop GT501.
      Great grip and good in the wet/rain.
      I installed apair last year. I did over 6000 on them so far.
      The rear is just starting to show some wear.
      They are bias ply and fairly reasonable, $72 for the front, 110/90X19 front and 130/80X18 rear was $110, plus mounting.

I have them on a GS1000S, with steering damper, fork brace and progressive suspension. I like corners, not straight lines
      I ride about 1/2 the time 2 up with my wife. She likes corners too

Keith
      Keith
      -------------------------------------------
      1980 GS1000S, blue and white
      2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Last time I got tyres the tyre person said the Macadam was not as grippy as the Metzler 55, but I have not directly compared their relative behaviour (warm up time, grip in cold etc) which is alos important.

Comment

The ME55 is an excellent grippy rear tire, made to complement the ME33 front.

Comment

GT501

I'm with KGB....the Dunlop GT501's are awesome tires. I've run mostly Dunlops and think these are the best. I might be willing to try something else so I"m always interested in these tire posts. I used Metzlers on my Harley and thought they were OK but not special.

I hope we hear about some others, too!!
            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Checked into the 501`s. they are pricey but good cost money. I`m going to wait and see if anyone else has a opinion. I`m almost talked into the 501`s. I asked the same question a few other places and 501`s have really gotten good reports. I`ve never been a dunlop fan but it does seem this is a very new design and the tire it repalced was a fantastic tire. I`m wondering if possibly the michelin and metzler pattern is getting kinda dated? BTW the dunlop is higer priced than either metz or michelin...thats hard to believe.

Comment

The me55 is da bomb

I love it..........

Comment

I have had three sets of Metzeler ME33/ME55 combo on my Tractor, I was very impressed with them. Until I got up here where higher temperatures and lots of straight running saw them almost evaporate off the rims. I am now trying BT45 Bridgestones and so far are very impressed with them, although it is a lot colder this time of year, I have had no slides from them (that I didnt ask for) and they stick really well.
                  Dink

Comment

I am finding the ME33 wearing a lot better than the BT45 I had on the front, but this is in the 110/80 18 inch size. The BT45 disappeared before my eyes, but it looked like I was a track hero (not!). In hot wether it looked like melting....

I am running a Gt301 Arrowmax (seems an unusual tyre!) on the rear which has great grip cold or warm, wet whatever, but I have not run it enough to guage mileage yet.

These experinces are based on 18 inch rims, the most mileage I get from reasonable tyres is 2,000 to 8,000kms (depends on what I ma doing!)

Comment

If the Dunlop 501's are anything like the 591's they replaced then they are an excellent choice. The 591R's (they came in S or R compound)were designed for Supersport racing in the late 80's and ruled on the track thru the mid 90's. I have used several rears over the years on my 750 in size 140/70x17, they were grippy, predictable, and confidence inspiring. I plan on using the 501 on the rear of my 750 when it is completed. Anyone in the Radial market, I recently put a set of Dunlop 208ZR's on my TL1000. They are excellent tires with no vices. Ride On, Ed.

Comment

I just put a set of Dunlop 491's on my GS650, They are great.

Comment

I just bought a V rated 591 for my 400 due to it being an old model. It's a bit of a waste since I can barely do half of its maximum speed but it was cheap.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                          X