Poll: To override, or not to overide Anti-dive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poll: To override, or not to overide Anti-dive

The overwhelming sentiment seems to be to override the anti-dive system, but I'm still reluctant to change it from the way it was originally engineered. However, a little extra braking power on this old bike would be nice. What do you think?

1) Override anti-dive. It doesn't seem to do a darn thing anyway.
    2) Leave it alone. It was designed that way for a reason.
    Yes. It doesn't seem to do a darn thing anyway.
    50.00%
    Leave it alone. The bike was designed that way for a reason.
    50.00%

The poll is expired.

Anti-dive was a fad during the early 80’s – along with air forks. I removed the anti-dive from my old 750ES and made blank off plates with a channel between the holes to allow fluid to flow properly. Only reason to keep it would be if you were doing a restoration and want to keep the bike stock.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Go with progressive springs, spacers, and scrap the 'fancy' crap.
      Unless, as Ed mentioned, you're going resto to stock. If the rest of the bike warrants a full restoration...keep it.

Comment

I say if it still is functioning then leave it, but I wouldn't try repairing it....just delete it

Duro

Comment

Still got mine. Standing still.....the harder you grab the front brake the stiffer the forks get. Still works as advertised.
          Last edited by bonanzadave; 07-14-2009, 02:45 PM.
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I can't really vote in the poll because I have not experienced a GS with anti-dive.

I kinda like the second option, though, because it opens a whole 'nother can of worms.
            How many other things have we changed on our bikes in spite of the fact that "they were designed that way for a reason"?

The more I hear you guys gripe about the anti-dive system on the GSs, the more I like the system on my Wing. The caliper mounts on an arm that is anchored to the fork leg with a pivot. The other end of the arm is attached to the end of the anti-dive piston. When the brakes are activated, the caliper moves forward about 3-6mm, activating the anti-dive. This mechanical action takes absolutely no feel away from the brakes and also does not delay brake action any more than the time it takes the brake rotor to rotate about 3-6mm.

Although there are mechanisms in each fork leg, they activate at different times. The braking system on the Wing (and some other large bikes) is set up so that the left front caliper is connected to the rear wheel brakes and the right front caliper is the only one controlled by the hand lever. Yeah, I don't like it either, but I have gotten used to it. It is nice, though, that if I only activate one brake system, I only get half the anti-dive effect. If I activate both systems, maximum anti-dive is in effect. Overall, it actually works quite well.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

They do work with good lines.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Mine still seem to work. The brakes do feel a bit soft at first pull but since I have not bled the brakes since taking ownership, I cannot state if that softness is from the anti-dive or some air somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                X