Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1979 GS 850 Speedometer Cable Problem, Very Frustating.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS 850 Speedometer Cable Problem, Very Frustating.

Hello there, I am new to these forums and have recently purchased a 1979 GS 850. When I bought it there was no speedometer cable and now I have purchased an aftermarket replacement.

My question is: when the cable is properly installed into the wheel receptical, there is about an inch of cable sticking out from the top of the cable where it connects to the cluster. I've double checked that the cable is properly installed into the lower slot and still no luck.

The top of the cable will insert about 1/4" into the receptical but thats is.

I get some speed measurement but it's slow to respond and only goes up to about 20 MPH.

What am I doing wrong or do you have any suggestions?

I would really appreicate any help.

thanks,

Matt

The end of the cable has a square shape. It fits exactly into the speedometer. Sometimes you have to turn the inner cable a bit by hand to make it slide into the speedo.

Comment

re: 1979 GS 850 Speedometer Cable Problem, Very Frustating.

Originally posted by jojo
      The end of the cable has a square shape. It fits exactly into the speedometer. Sometimes you have to turn the inner cable a bit by hand to make it slide into the speedo.
      Thanks for the tip, I ended up driving the bike down to my local Suzuki dealer and got a really nice service guy that took a look that my problem.

Turns out that the cluster end of the cable needed to be filed down in order to fit into the receptical. So...

Now the cable fits properly into the back of the speedo but I get very irregular reading. It's about 5-10 MPH slow most of the time and the needle is like it's on a 5 second delay.

Do you think I have a bad speedo? And if so, can a new speedo be swapped into the existing cluster?

Thanks again,

Matt

Comment

Could be. When I got mine, I immediately replaced the cable and on the first trip out the speedo did the same thing. then locked up and snapped the cable innerds. Ordered a replacement (spelled used) Speedo from a guy on the east coast Paul's Cycles, and haven't had a problem since.

Comment

ONE good reason to buy OEM parts You can avoid this type of problem

Comment

Factory Parts

Unfortunately, the factory speedometer cable off a friends 79' 850 presents the same problem. I still think the speedometer is broken.

Actually speaking of speedometers, my speedo goes up to 140 MPH, most of the ones I'm finding only go up to 80 MPH. Any tips on how to locate a 140 MPH model?

thanks for the advice,

Matt

Comment

Matt you will have to find a pre- 1980 to get a 140 speedo.

Comment

Working...
              X