1980 gs1000e,,, front forks,,,,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 gs1000e,,, front forks,,,,

Guys,,, can anybody help with a way to do away with the air set up and just have decent forks working... ,,has anybody actually done it ...i don,t want to put upside forka on at the moment.. Due to lack of cash.....but i,d like to fix the problem ,,, hope you can help me regards david from kaniva australia

If you don't mind spending a little bit of cash (about US$75, plus shipping), Progressive Suspension has a good product.

If you are pretty tight with your budget (like some of us), you can remove the stock springs, cut off a couple of inches, then make a spacer (plastic plumbing pipe works well) about an inch longer than what you cut off. Put it all back together, put in the proper quantity of 10w or 15w fork oil and RIDE.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You do not need to put air in the forks after you do what Steve suggested.
      That's my take,anyone correct me if I'm mistaken. Many people with air forks are running them without the air for a variety of reasons. (leaks and whatnot)

1978 GS1000C
      1979 GS1000E
      1980 GS1000E
      2004 Roadstar

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
        You do not need to put air in the forks after you do what Steve suggested.
        That's my take,anyone correct me if I'm mistaken. Many people with air forks are running them without the air for a variety of reasons. (leaks and whatnot)
        And the fact that without a special tool I have found it impossible to get the pressure even because checking the pressure releases some air, so if you had them even before you checked, now they are uneven again.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
          And the fact that without a special tool I have found it impossible to get the pressure even because checking the pressure releases some air, so if you had them even before you checked, now they are uneven again.
          Dead easy to get the air pressure equal in both - just go for zero and do what Steve suggests and you'll end up waaay better off.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
          X