Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yellow dot on tire

Hi all,
    Is the yellow dot on the tire used to indicate the heavy or light spot? Also, will doing a burnout until I get down to the cords damage the inner tube? If so I'll have to pick one up shortly... :P

Thanks, Steve

Usually the light spot. Line it up with the valve stem.

Comment

Re: Yellow dot on tire

Originally posted by srivett
      Also, will doing a burnout until I get down to the cords damage the inner tube? If so I'll have to pick one up shortly... :P

Thanks, Steve
      Have you been abusing Betty again!! :roll:

Comment

It's for mounting. Line the dot up with the valve stem.

Comment

It must first be pointing downward in order to do a proper burn out. I have also heard rumours that it is lined up with the valve stem for balancing purpose.THEY SAY YOU DON'T HAVE TO BALANCE THE TIRES WHEN THAT IS DONE. I AM NOT TOO KEEN ON THAT BUT MANY DEALERS DO JUST THAT. If your rim is a bit out of balance, the most perfect tire will not cure that without balancing.

Comment

Yeah the spot is supposed to mark the lightest point on the tire. It's determined by manufacturing process (marks/depressions known to be left by the mold) not by actually checking it. Theory being that lining it up with the valve stem will help balance the tire rim combination. But like Scotty said, it certainly won't guarantee that they're balanced, just kind of helps you along in that direction.

Comment

As for your other question - U would think that you can burn the tire to the chords without hurting the tube.

Comment

Working...
              X