Installed Dyna coils and ignition, idles high

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installed Dyna coils and ignition, idles high

The bike was idling at 1100, now it's just over 2000. Throttle cable is adjusted all the way closed. Confused.

retard the timing some if its advanced...more leed= higher idle.
    more information needed.

Comment

I do have a timing light with the dial on it. It reads 12 degrees on the right hand most timing marks

Comment

Better spark & different dwell (now it's electronic) can also lead to higher idle. If the timing is setup correctly just back off the idle adjuster screw underneath the carbs....

If you've already tried this then I would go for too much advance as well.

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Must be advanced, because it ran real well clear up to (and over) redline!

Comment

How far should this be retarded? Should the timing light dial be set at 0* ?

Comment

So you have adjusted the idle stop screw right back out? The one under the carbs with "thumb wheel" head on it. The light should only really be necessary as a check, I timed mine static & got it almost spot on....

Dan
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

**i only assumed that if your idle was to high...
                you would try to lower the RPM's by adjusting the idle thumb wheel on the bottem and between the 2 and 3 carbs.
                is this correct???

Comment

the idle screw is actually not touching! I was thinking I might have to lower my carb slides? I can turn throttle in reverse and watch the idle lever on carbs move more closed, but there is no more adjustment to let out of the throttle pull cable

Comment

When you messed around with the coils did you mess around with the throttle cable?

Have you tried detaching the cable completely from one end... I bet the cable is hung up somewhere.

Dan
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

I did check the cable for binding and the like. it's seated on both ends, and both barrell adjusters are all the way in . It makes no sense. I retarded the ignition quite a bit, but it didn't seem to make but 100 rpm difference

Comment

If the timing is setup right then it can only be a few things.... either something is hanging up the carbs holding throttle open or holding the choke open or there is a fault with that Dyna S.

I'm inclined to believe the former but you never know...
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

I'll pull that cable out and reroute it.

Comment

Ultimate test might be to warm the engine up then disconnect the throttle altogether & see what happens to the idle....
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Satly,when you timed yours where and how? there are 3 marks on each side of the ATU, so which one is used? And are you eunning standard points?

Comment

Working...
                              X