No announcement yet.

Installed Dyna coils and ignition, idles high

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've only done the one of my G - the 1000E didn't need it TPO had already done it when I checked. I have a Dyna S in the garage to fit to the E one day....

I just followed the Dyna S instructions to the letter, used a spare indicator (flasher) as a static timing light. Worked out fine.

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Well, throttle cable isn't hanging up on anything, choke isn't hanging up, rechecked the timing (it is set about as far clockwise as possible: most retarded?), and idle is still high. At least she runs! But to get the idle down, all I can think of now is to lean it out?

Comment

your post heading states:
        installed dyna coils and ignition.
        so you are running a dyna S ????

Comment

Very strange....
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Have you checked the choke plungers?

Fuel ratio shouldn't bring you up that high, I wouldn't think.

Comment

Just playing devils advocate but did you try twisting it the other way just to make sure you are actually retarding not advancing?? I seem to remember clockwise being advancing but it's been a year or so since I did mine.

What carbs do you have? Presumably not the CV's. Did you check that with the throttle cable off the slides are coming back to their fully closed position?

Also did you change the intake boot O rings? I know that sounds funny but sometimes an air leak can cause a high idle..... What does it do when you blip the throttle does it take a long time to come back to the 2k or does it stumble & then pick up?? First would be lean, latter rich.

Dan
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Run forrest run!

Comment

new o rings, synched carbs, even with the cable off the carbs the idle screw isn't touching. rpms drop pretty quickly , but won't go below 2000

Comment

I turned the fuel screws in to around 5/8 out, and ran the air screws in. I think there was too much fuel and the air screws had to be so far out to compensate. Idle is still a bit high, around 1200, but much better!

Comment

Originally posted by crapwacker View Post
                      I turned the fuel screws in to around 5/8 out, and ran the air screws in. I think there was too much fuel and the air screws had to be so far out to compensate. Idle is still a bit high, around 1200, but much better!
                      OK, now adjust it down with the idle adjust... Honestly, tho no real fault of your own, you've kinda gone about this a bit backwards...On the VM carbs you need to work from the pilot circuit UP. Now that you've adjusted the pilot settings, you'll likely find your other circuits wanting for something...

Comment

The idle adjuster screw is still not touching the throttle lever!

Comment

Originally posted by crapwacker View Post
                          The idle adjuster screw is still not touching the throttle lever!
                          Man...you need some help bro. IMO, you need to pull those babys off and start from the begining. Set your fuel screws at 3/4 and work from there. If your idle adjust isnt touching and you're still idling that high, you're going to F something up eventually.

Comment

If you recently synced the carbs, you may have turned all the adjustement screws on the slides up to high. Try poping the tops off all the carbs, turning these all the way out, then in a round or 2. If this fixes the problem, you can increase your idle screw and then resync the carbs.

Choke plungers not sealing/returning all the way could also cause this. I know I can get 2500rpm out of my 1000 when it cold just by opening the choke all the way. If these aren't returning all the way, they could be causing problems as well.

Comment

Dumb luck and good advise

It ended up being slide adjustment issue. I went through and adjusted all slides up, then went back through and brought each one down till throttle shaft moved, then up a pinch. Resynched the carbs, and #3 was once again pulling tess than the other three. so I ended up moving it to a middle ground between even with the rest, and somewhere that would let me set the idle with the idle adjuster screw. Back at it tomorrow, to balance lean /rich. By the way, compression test results were;
                              #1 100psi
                              #2 100psi
                              #3 130psi
                              #4 90psi
                              And vac readings mimiced this, as 1&2 were the same, 3 was low, and 4 was higher than 1&2.

Comment

Working...
                              X