What carbs are these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What carbs are these?

I want to thank all the contributors that make GS Resources such a great archieve of information. The site has really helped me get my 1979 Suzuki GS1000E on the out of the garage and on the road.

I have a general question about my carbs. I just finished putting in dynojet stage 3 main and needle jets in. However, when I went to adjust my pilot fuel screw there were none to be found. Upon some research it appears vm29's don't have pilot fuel screws. I'm wondering if my carbs are vm29's. It's also possible that they're vm26's and I'm missing something. I've included pictures. Thanks for the help.

I pic of the whole unit would be nice, but those dont look like 26 slides...Might be 28 pumpers or 29s...Give us a better pic?

Comment

More Pictures

Underside pictures, isn't there suppose to be a pilot fuel screw in that hole?

Comment

More pictures

Full on shot

Comment

Nope. Those caps allow you to pull the main jets without removing the carbs from the bike, or atleast without upsetting much. Im guessing these are definately pumpers or smoothies, they ARE NOT standard VM26SS carbs. I dont see an accelerator pump in the other pics, Im going with smoothbores...

Comment

More Pictures

Back shot. Sorry about the tape. I can take it off and reshoot if it helps.

Comment

Particular shots

If anyone would like to see a particular shot, just ask.

I guess my next question would be if these are smoothbores, like vm29's. Are these going to run properly with the DJ stage three kit? Here's what I put in them.

Main Jet: 138
              Needle Jet: DJ Needle at 3 1/2 notches

Pilot Air Screw: Haven't touched it

Thanks for the input.

Comment

More information

I guess I should also mention I'm running a 4-in-1 pipe (type I'm unsure) and true K&N pod filters.

Having the forum members support on this is great. Thanks again.

Comment

With the manifold I would guess they are from a Kawasaki rather than a Suzuki but I have no idea what model.

Comment

Those are VM29 smoothbores. I have the same ones on my bike. Apparently, these are highly sought after. I can tell you that they produce nice crisp throttle response. I have always had a slight miss on higher revs, and have finally nailed the problem down to a loose connector on a wire to the #'s 2&3 coil. I fixed this and am just waiting for my points to come in. Then I am going to finally be able to go through the rev range without any glitches, hopefully. I should get a real good feel for how these carbs perform!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Easy Rider View Post
                      If anyone would like to see a particular shot, just ask.

I guess my next question would be if these are smoothbores, like vm29's. Are these going to run properly with the DJ stage three kit? Here's what I put in them.

Main Jet: 138
                      Needle Jet: DJ Needle at 3 1/2 notches

Pilot Air Screw: Haven't touched it

Thanks for the input.
                      Those are VM29's, and I couldn't tell you about the DJ jets, as they are completely different than Mukuni's. My pilot size is 25, main 120, and the clip is in the middle position.

Comment

I think the DJ138 jets are much too large. There is a tremendous loss of power at 3/4 to full thottle and the plugs are dark. I'm going to install a set of Mikuni VM120 jets and see if that helps.

Also I'm not sure what pilot jets I'm running (25?) but I'd like to install 20 because my pilot air screw is out quite a few turns.

I think the DJ needle is close at 3.5.

Thanks cafekid, mad, and slip for the help on figuring out what carbs I'm dealing with.

I'll keep this updated with my tuning journey. Finding what tune works with VM29s on a GS1000 with a pipe and pods.

Comment

those are 29MM smoothies start with 25 pilots needle at position 3 and 120 mains that should put you pretty close
                          i have a set on mine as well
                          what pipe do you have ?
                          according to the mikuni to DJ converter that i got form here you should use the DJ 128 mainjet that equals a mikuni jet of 120
                          from what i can tell at this point with the DJ 138 your 4 sizes too big on the mains for your bike
                          Last edited by Guest; 07-10-2009, 02:33 AM.

Comment

What kind of Dynojet kit did you get? Do they make one for the VM29?

My 1000S came with VM29's when I bought the bike. Since I don't care about eeking out every last HP I sold them on ebay, picked up a stock set of carbs, and put about $600 profit in my pocket to help fund the rest of the restoration.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

29 and 33 smoothbores appear identical who measured the inner venturi diameter?

better start at 127.5 mains and the needle in the middle which may still be too much fuel.

depending on your engine pilot jet choice is going to be biggest tuning factor.

12.5 or 15 or 17.5 pilot sizes. maybe a 20 if you have massive low lift flow from a port job and bigger intake valves

no dyno jet kit !!!! these are very easy to tune -- for half throttle and higher. street use is going to require patience.
                              Last edited by trippivot; 07-10-2009, 09:47 AM.
                              SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Working...
                              X