sticking brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sticking brakes

Hi, new user here. I have a 78 750 and after 8 to 10 blocks of riding the rear brakes starts grabbing. let it cool and it is free. or if I crack a bleeder. I installed a second caliper from another bike and got the same results. I have cleaned the master cylinder and still get the same problem. anyone ever seen this? they will get so bad that I cannot push the bike until the brake cools.

Don't know if it's your problem or not, but my rear brake peddle was rusted up on it's pivot. Removed it, cleaned and oiled it and it's back good as new.

Also, from what you're saying I guess it could be a bad brake hose.
    They break down on the inside and scale blocks the fluid.

Comment

Clean the master cylinder again. There is a small bleed hole right near where the piston sits that allows pressure to equalize in the system until the piston starts to move. Quite often, that bleeder hole gets plugged up and shows exactly the symptoms you describe. I had that happen on my son's Venture Royale after a ride around the block. Even the power in a 1300cc V-4 was not enough to get me the last 1/4 mile home, I had to open the bleeder at the caliper and only use the other brake.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

it was the bleed hole. was plugged with what looked like aluminum corrosion. works fine now. thanks allot.

Comment

Working...
        X