jetting for WV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jetting for WV?

I'll be going to the GS rally in West Virginia in a few weeks.

Right now my jetting is near perfect. A bit lean in the pilot. I've been meaning to increased the pilot one size, just been lazy about it.

Any suggestions of where I should have my jetting for the WV trip?

I don't understand the "need" to re-jet for a weekend trip.

There is nothing "special" in WV that is worth re-jetting for.

Go. Ride. Enjoy. Don't worry about the bike.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

steve,
      you was kind with that reply.
      wait till trippivot reads this post...
      hehehhehe
      Last edited by blowerbike; 07-10-2009, 08:10 PM. Reason: spell check!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Totally agree, Steve. I'm amazed how so many people in this forum stress out over nothing, rather than enjoy the riding.

If your bike runs fine in Philadelphia, it will run just as well in West Virginia. You'd think the elevations in WV are 10,000 feet plus. The highest point in West Virginia is less than 5,000 feet. Typical elevation on the roads we'll be on is anywhere from 1000 to 3500 feet. Nothing radical.

Nick Diaz
        Middletown, MD

Comment

You guys are great... LOL

I was just making sure!!

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
            steve,
            you was kind with that reply.
            wait till trippivot reads this post

I might be riding out to California later this year. I certainly don't plan on re-jetting the Wing to go through Colorado.

Actually, several years ago, my wife and I did ride to Durango, Colorado. I was on my fuel-injected Kawasaki Voyager 1300, she was on her '82 850L.
            We had NO fuel-related problems on that trip, even though elevations approached 10,000 feet at times. The biggest problem with her bike was a blown ignitor as we were starting home, forcing us to get a U-Haul truck. Halfway across Kansas, my bike tossed a u-joint on the driveshaft, so we squeezed both bikes into the truck and continued home.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I rode from maryland, to virginia, into west virginia and then to pennsylvania on Sunday and the bike rode fine. Just curious why you feel you would need to re-jet

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                I rode from maryland, to virginia, into west virginia and then to pennsylvania on Sunday and the bike rode fine. Just curious why you feel you would need to re-jet

For some reason I thought I read this was a good idea if you were running sea level elevation...maybe I thought the elevation was much higher in the WV mountains. I guess not.

FYI - I rode from golden to the sailda to breckenridge on a dirt bike a few weeks ago. Though I didn't re-jet, if we were spending at least a few days in the mountains, it wouldn't have been a bad idea. OF course the bike I was on only had one carb which makes things a tad bit easier. But a lot of those folks were jetting there bikes approriately when they got to the higher elevation.

BUT NOT TO WORRY YA"LL , I'll leave the jetting alone for WV

Comment

A few more questions for you, in parting:

How long have you been working on getting your current jetting "near perfect"?

How many changes did you make along the way, feeling that it wasn't quite good enough yet?

How long did you test it in each configuration before deciding that it wasn't quite right?

And you wanted to stick in somebody's guess as to what you might need for a weekend ride?

Also keep in mind that as you go up in elevation and stay there, your jetting needs to be a bit leaner. If you re-jet for the altitude, then come back down to sea level, unless you change your jetting again, you will be too lean. Personally, I would rather have it running a bit rich for a couple of days than lean. One of the racers on the board might be able to tell you how much altitude affects jetting needs, but for overall street use, and short duration at that, no re-jetting is necessary.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

maro, i live in southern wv. my 79 gs750l with stock jetting, rusty exhaust full of holes with an h-pipe that was 10% eaten away and long gone wadding; not to mention carbs that had not been dipped nor the o-rings changed for at least the 10 years the po had it, and the fact he had never synced the poor carbs ran great up and down and around these backwood country hills. given the condition of your bike all you have to worry about is having to much fun.lol.

Comment

WV has such a broad altitude range, I wouldnt mess with it Josh. *I* only moved my clip a half step leaner for our trip b/c i was already IN the carbs doing other things. For this upcoming trip, i wont change a thing. If you lived in high altitude, and stayed there regularly, it would be different. But its not worth the hastle, nor immensely effective just passing thru. You're good to go bud, unless you're silly rich to begin with...BTW, your risers will go out tomorrow...

TCK

Comment

theres a really steep hill down the road from me...
                        do i need to re-jet my CA77 before i attempt to climb this

Comment

Depends on which way you are headed..up the hill or down it??

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                            Depends on which way you are headed..up the hill or down it??
                            Most of the time, "climbing" means going UP.

Blowerbike, you talkin' about Linden Avenue?

Not sure a CA77 would make it up that hill.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

Most of the time, "climbing" means going UP.

Blowerbike, you talkin' about Linden Avenue?

Not sure a CA77 would make it up that hill.

eh... way to take a completely sarcastic answer and pick it apart Steve...nice job

Comment

Working...
                              X