windshield won't stay adjusted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

windshield won't stay adjusted

I was wondering how to install a handlebar style windshield. It only has 2 round bars that slide into a holder? sure don't clamp. The other end has plastic round screw type things attached to a clip . The clip slides into windshield. I hope thats clear as mud. Sorry don't know termology. The rod slides down into the keeper or the clip pops out? I am not sure what is wrong. I do not know how it should be, straight up tilt it back,plastic screw things with the rod turned in or out? Any ideas on this. It is off for now but very buggy here. I cant seem to adjust it no matter what I do, it comes loose while riding sometimes before during and after? I have had the rod with the clip on it slide completely down in the holder. I was wondering if I could clamp the rod on the end so it can't come loose. Maybe it was installed wrong or something?

Most of the better (bigger) shields will have more than two mounting points, are you sure you are not missing something?

Any idea what kind of shield it is?

Post a picture or two and we might be able to help you better.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The Spitfire shield is pretty popular and only has two mounting points. This might be what the OP has, but who knows.

Without photos, we can only guess that perhaps some threads are stripped on your mounting hardware. Perhaps you need to contact the manufacturer and try to get replacement hardware.

Dennis Kirk sells replacement hardware for the shields they carry. Windshields don't change very much over the years, so the hardware is most likely still available unless it's some oddball brand.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Heres a couple of pictures

Comment

Working...
        X