1985 GS550E carb settings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1985 GS550E carb settings?

me and my brother recently picked this bike up and it sat for 8 years with the know how from basic carb setup we got it running alright well great unless ur like us and want to see what it will give you. at higher RPMs mainly at top of 4th 100-110 mph the bike sucks it self dry(i took off a float bowl drain screw and no gas in it is what i mean) stalls then you need to put it on prime for about 10 seconds and then perfect all day untill you get into 7500+ rpms. its never fun at your local race track getting most of the way down the track then just stalling any ideas thanks?

Jesse

I guess it's a lost cause for awhile I'll try another day
    Last edited by Guest; 07-11-2009, 02:48 PM.

Comment

It would seem to me you have tracked down the issue already, so the question is what is preventing gas from getting to your carbs? Bad petcock - does it run OK on prime? This is a well known issue and anyone here will tell you to replace the petcock. Fuel lines plugged/dirty? Needle valves and screens clean?

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse002100 View Post
        I guess it's a lost cause for awhile I'll try another day

check the petcock for proper operation
        on res or main it will need vaccumm to open the valve to allow fuel to flow.
        the diaphraghm int he petcock may be torn
        or the vaccuum tube may leak or may be collaapsing internally.

you can readily test this by attaching a tube to the petcock's vaccuum spigot and sucking on the other end
        mind you prepare for the taste ot gas if there is a tear

spring inside may also be bad

Comment

Lost cause meant no specs for the carbs i just wanted a good base to start at but i know the issue the petcock operates fine if i blow then suck it operates as it should(no dirty remarks GSR its the best explanation) but i have took the mixture out a quarter turn and it will flood so i wanted to know float height and air/mixture settings to get a good base

Comment

If someone wants to put up a PDF file here for the GS series I have a suzuki shop manual. I just dont have a file host to put it up on.

Comment

Working...
            X