Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long case guards bolt size

So I got these

They sent 2 long bolts to replace the original ones that were 1/2" longer so there would be room for the nut after adding the thickness of the case guards on each side.

Problem is the original bolts were 7/16" (or nearest metric) and the new bolts are 3/8". I'm thinking using these bolts of lesser diameter is not a good idea. any opinions.
    Also, if I need to get longer 7/16 bolts, is there a grade I need and any ideas of a source? Maybe Fastenal?

Boy, the bolts are no picnic to get in and out. I tried using minimal pressure from a jack and piece of wood on the bottom of the engine but It seems to want to pick up everything and doesn't really change the position of the engine hole relative to the frame hole.
    1983 GS 1100GL
    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
    1983 GS 1100 G
    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

If the bolt hole doesn't line up properly, you might want to try loosening the other engine bolts first. A bottle jack under the engine will help support everything. When installing the engine into the frame on a recent project I noticed that there was a sweet spot where everything lined up nice and straight which is what you want I think.

Regarding the bolt, I think you need grade 5 SAE of 8.8 metric. Good luck finding bolts that long without special ordering.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

If you have a Fastenal store I would look there for those bolts because most hardware stores won't have any that long.

Comment

Well, at least I got the original bolt back in for now. Parts fiche says 12x235. Any opinions as to maybe just using the slightly smaller diameter bolts supplied with the MC Enterprises case guards. Everything seems so "bound up" anyway. Also, If I find bolts locally, how important is the grade. The original stock bolt has something that resembles a 7 on the head
        1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
          Problem is the original bolts were 7/16" (or nearest metric) and the new bolts are 3/8".
          To me the size difference between 7/16 and 3/8 wouldn't cause a concern. You should be fine with those.

EDIT: I guess i better add unless they wont thread into a hole or something. Im not sure where they go, so i'll shut up now.
          Last edited by Guest; 07-11-2009, 01:03 PM.

Comment

I'm tending to agree with you Tim. After all, my model is listed at Dennis Kirk as one being fit by these guards. Also searching the net and calling around locally leads me to believe it's gonna be really hard to find these 10" long. Anybody else have any opinions?
            1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

Working...
            X