Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about the cam chain tensioner knob

I have a 1981 GS-850G.

Could someone please educate me about external knob on the cam chain tensioner.

In general, I'd like to know what its purpose is and how it works.

In particular, the cam chain tensioner knob on my motorcycle gets stuck in one position. I am concerned because I heard somewhere that it's important for this knob to turn freely at all times. Is that true? If so, what needs to be done to free it?

That knob doesn't (appear to) move under normal circumstances and you shouldn't try and turn it manually.

If you're worried about your tensioner not working there's a particular procedure to follow for taking it off the bike and checking - have a look in the manual - here's the link to Cliff's website if you haven't got one.

And a link to Brian's tutorial on rebuilding the tensioner:

Last edited by hampshirehog; 07-11-2009, 03:21 PM. Reason: can't spell
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
      That knob doesn't (appear to) move under normal circumstances and you shouldn't try and turn it manually.

If you're worried about your tensioner not working there's a particular procedure to follow for taking it off the bike and checking - have a look in the manual - here's the link to Cliff's website if you haven't got one.

http://www.bwringer.com/gs/camchaintens.html
      Brian's tutorial on rebuilding the tensioner is excellent. Thanks for sending it. However, apparently my question wasn't very clear because I'm still not sure if there's anything to worry about. I wasn't asking if the knob "appears to move under normal circumstances" when the engine is running.

What I really wanted to know is if I should be able to move the knob counterclockwise (against the coil spring tension) when the engine is not running. I was under the impression that the knob should be able to freely turn counterclockwise and then spring back when released.

Comment

It should turn and ramp in or out about a half turn, mine does anyway.

Comment

Your right, Cliff's manual had the answer

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post

http://www.bwringer.com/gs/camchaintens.html
          Hampshirehog, please excuse me for being so dense. When you asked if I had a manual, I thought of my Clymer's manuel and answered in the affirmative. But Clymer's manual didn't answer my question about the proper function of the cam chain tensioner. When I finally downloaded the Cliff's manual as you suggested, there was the answer to my question. Thanks again. You, and the links you sent, have been most helpful.

Comment

Working...
          X