Pleasures of buying an old bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pleasures of buying an old bike

Last weekend I purchased a new to me '82 GS850G. I got it for a good price knowing that I would have to put some work into it. The work is part of the fun for me.
    It is just really funny the things you find. I spent the good part of today repairing two spark plug hole threads. I was checking the spark plug gap. One of the thread inserts came out with the spark plug (cylinder #3). That one was no problem. I noticed that another (cylinder #1) had the thread insert sticking out of the head. That one was tight. I ended up using a tap to cut the insert out of the head. I was sweating on that one.
    I have discovered some "funny" things on this bike. Like, the right turn signals not working because one of the wires were not connected. The last owner said he could not figure it out. The air filter was only partially there. Only the sponge material was there. The housing that it went around was not there. At least the air box was. Oh yeah, the boots from the air box to the carbs were not connected to the carbs.

Although it is frustrating sometimes, I am enjoying the challenge. Like I said that is part of the fun for me. I think I may be a masochist.

Thank you guys for all the support that you provide to all of us. This support is one of the main reasons that I decided to buy another GS.

Thanks

James

PS It feels good to vent a little.

I couldn't agree more about the fun of working on the older bikes, with a small asterick!!! I am building my first bike in 30 years, kind of whooping me due to someone's creative wiring in the past!! if there was one thing that was going to whoop my butt, it was going to be wiring. Unfortunately, it looked good at purchase, but now I am pulling my hair out trying to figure it out!!!!!!!

Comment

jwebb, It's funny, but I think that right turn signal issue is one of the most common problems with newly purchased old gs's. The p.o.'s must always go into the headlight bucket for some wire tracing project and end up plugging the wrong wire in. You've probably already figured this out, but, It is confusing due to the way the factory wiring is set up. The marker light bullet connectors from each light go into a common female siamesed socket. two sockets side by side in one plastic sheath. the left turn signal lead bullet connector goes into a similar dual socket plug BUT only that one gets used. the right side turn signal connector plugs into a solitary ( I believe it's green or green and white) female socket. The po assumes the right one goes in with the left one and plugs them both in together, which if you THINK about it is actually an obvious NO NO! I've seen and read this problem mentioned surprisingly frequently. Should probably dedicate a thread to it.

Comment

It wasn't even that complicated. I pulled the headlight and the disconnected male end was the first wire to pop out. It was like it was jumping out to say hay look at me!
        I understand the complicated ones. It's the simple one that make me laugh.

Comment

Working...
        X