Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

electricity batery/recharger/kickstarter problem

Hi,

I got a GS 750 '77 and I raally like it. However it's not really reliable anymore. The batery does not recharge well enough (I think). Starting the motor electrically usually doesn't work when the motor is cold, because the batery stops to work.

How do I know my batery, or the dymano(?batery charger?) is broken?

When the batery is completely empty the plugs do not spark when I kickstart. Why is this?

Hope somebody can help so I can ride without problems again

get auto elec to check charging rate he only has to test at the battery the bike will not kickstart because the small amount of power you creat in kicking is not enough to power up the coils as well as being drained by the flat battery and powering other items like oil and neutral lights
    ozman just a thought

Comment

First thing to do is to recharge the battery, Then with a volt meter check the battery voltage should be 12.6 with the bike off. Then start the bike and chech the reading that you get at 5K rpm it should now read something around 14 V if every thing is working. If it is not charging go back and check the connections on the stator and reg and rectifier and re check. (Note: I think your 77/750 has a seperate reg and rect, later combo units can be used to replace yours) if still not working go to the Stator pages for details about checking charging system

Comment

Well, the battery was reading about 12.5V, so that was a bit low. After starting the Voltage at 5krpm was about 13.5 also a bit low, but all is working.

I visually checked the battery and saw one of the cells didn't have any fluid in it. I filled it with water, hopefully this is good and it's not broken yet, but probably I need a new one.

Well, thanks all.

Comment

Working...
        X