gs1100l wont do anything but idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1100l wont do anything but idle

It rained all night last night, so I removed the seat before the rain in hopes of a dry butt this mourning. I started the bike and it ran fine for about one minute. Then it wouldnt do anything but idle. If you give it fuel it wants to die. The air filter is dry and its getting fuel. I pulled the plug wires one at a time and used old plug to check the spark and its weak. I started the bike two hours later and it did the same thing. Do anyone have any idea what is causing this?

Need more info... What year? What setup for filters/pipes. Did it run well before? How wet did the electrics below the seat get???

If you didn't put a cover where the seat normally all the electrics got a damn good soaking... battery, fuse box, ignitor, RR, plus there are a bunch of connectors under there....

Not a great idea in my opinion. You would have been better off covering the seat or the whole bike against the rain!

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

gs1100 wont do anthing but idle

its a 83 gs 1100l with a factory air box and foam filter. and a vance and hines pipe. I also recently put in a new battery and a new stator and r/r. The bike ran great before the 2 inches of rain last night. About a month ago while riding in heavy rain for one hour it started to break up over 4,000rpms but it cleared up after the rain stopped. M aybe that was the start of my current problem.

Comment

pull the gas tank and get some compressed air and dry the coils, wires, and everthing under there real well l. I went riding with my buddy last mont on gs1100L and the rain messed him up too. He got water in the coil wire boots on the coils and after he pulleled the plug wires and dried everthing it was fine. If there is water in the coil boots it takes a long time to dry. I also would add a can of dry gas, you may have sucked enough water into your carbs and gas tank to cause this problem.

Comment

Just replace your plug caps, they are like 1.75 a piece and while your at it snip off the end of your wires to get fresh wire. That should cure it. To recreate wait till it runs right and and spray the spark plug area with water and see if it screws up

Comment

where do I get plug caps? Bikebandit has them for $60.00 for 4

Comment

ngk replacements, sold about any motorcycle shop or online

Comment

Can get spark plug caps at about any mo'cycle dealer, doesnt have to be Suzuki dealer. The two insdie caps are different than the outside two.
                Here are numbers of the ones I got for my GK
                XB05F
                VB05F
                http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Working...
                X