front brake light switch variations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front brake light switch variations

The brake light switch in my 82 650G doesn't work very well, even after cleaning it out and shining up the copper. Basically it doesn't turn on unless I fully depress the brake lever.

I thought I saw some advice on a different kind of switch but can't find the thread... This type of switch with the little copper U on the end of the spring just seems kind of messed up, is there a better replacement out there that would work with the same type of action? (don't want hydraulic)

thanks

Brad

i went thru this last year....my copper piece had eroded over time, i guess, so that it was too small to make a solid contact. i ordered a replacement switch for 10 bucks, but the only thing i ended up needing was the copper. works like a charm now.

Comment

Agreed -- just replace the switch guts. About $10.

It's a lousy design but it works OK for a while.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I think the advice you saw was indeed for a hydraulic switch build into a replacement banjo bolt. Z1 sells one that some have made work on their GSes.

Comment

Hmm, ok, sounds like a replacement of the original part should work then, I'm ordering one off of this website: http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/bra...t_switches.htm
          Thanks for the help.

Brad

Comment

Working...
          X