Running on two legs, of my stator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running on two legs, of my stator

I had trouble starting my bike a few days ago, just wouldnt turn over. So with a little charge time I was good to go. When I got back home, I checked the battery voltage, and it didnt go above 12v with rpms over 3k rpm. So, I tested the stator wires at the r&r and one leg didnt give me a reading at all. And I am really bummed out because I will be without my bike for a while.
    I assumed the stator was gone so I ordered a new one from Electrosport. Over the next couple days I checked the R&R (all good) Then started to pull the bike apart to take the stator cover off. When I got the countershaft cover off I saw one of the stator wires had been chewed up by the front sprocket. ARRRRGH! There was the fault, crimped some new wires on it, put it together and fired right up. Over 13 volts at the battery. So, now I have a new stator coming that I dont need.
    Maybe I can try to cancel the order, or keep one for a spare, or maybe sell it to someone on here that needs one
    Anyway, Would running one of these 'high performance' stators give me more spark energy or help with performance?

Nope, no more spark

You've got the coil relay mod and Dyna greens - your spark should be a nice white/blue now

At least you found the problem before you took the new stator out of the box
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

stator

Big T, Stators were/are a common failure item. personally would keep new item as spare, It's presence may keep gremlins at bay. G

Comment

I have read of a couple of stories about problems with electrosport stators going bad. So, because it has a 1 year warranty, I was going to install it and keep the old one for a spare.

Comment

Bad grounds, resistance and bad R/Rs caused the Stator failures. Not the stators themselves.
          I'll take that extra stator off your hands friend.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
          X