valve shims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

valve shims

i have heard or read somewhere where you can aquire valve shims by trading or something like that does anyone know anything about this and how does it work, thanks for all the help and suggestions from all.

Do a search on "shim club" and you will find the info you need.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

About to hit it hard, engine finally assembled last night and with new valve seats cut, and the tips of the valves ground down to accomdate that, NO idea what sizes I'm gonna need, gonna throw mid range 2.50, 2.55 in there and adjust from there.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
        NO idea what sizes I'm gonna need, gonna throw mid range 2.50, 2.55 in there and adjust from there.
        Don't throw them in unless you already have them.

Better to take a few days. Use a small one (2.30 or 2.40) that you can move around, so it has to be an 'extra' shim. That way you can measure your clearance and easily figure out what shims you need and only order them. As an added bonus, if you use metric feelers (or at least use the metric equivalents on the 'inch' feelers), it's easy to see how many shim sizes you need to change. Don't forget to enter your values in the spreadsheet that I sent you just over a year ago.

Diante, yes, there is a 'shim club' run by GhostGS1. Click on this link for more information. Some of us prefer to build our own inventory due to the number of bikes that we have, and get new shims from Z1 Enterprises for about $5.28 each, compared to the dealer price of $11 or 12. Send me an e-mail request, I will send you a copy of the spreadsheet, too. Very handy way to figure out what shims you need and help to keep track of your clearances and shims from one service interval to the next.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have a 2.15 that I keep just for that purpose
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I was under the impression you never wanted to rotate the engine with no shims in, so I was going to put a shim in each bucket before I started turning the motor to measure. I probably have 20 of various sizes including some 2.30 and 2.35. I'll take an inventory tonight and see what I have. There is an old school bike mechainic in my town woith a box full of them.

Comment

What is the diameter of GS shims? Are they all the same diameter across engine sizes and years? Also what are the common max and min thicknesses? I've got a box of shims buried out in the garage that (from memory) are about the same size as the shim buckets in an old GS650 head I was looking at the other day.

Thanks,
              /\/\ac

Comment

They are 29.5mm diameter, and they were the same in all Suzukis that used shim over bucket.

A common mistake is to substitute 29.0mm shims (from Kawasakis? Can't remember) -- this is a Very Bad Idea.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                  They are 29.5mm diameter, and they were the same in all Suzukis that used shim over bucket.

A common mistake is to substitute 29.0mm shims (from Kawasakis? Can't remember) -- this is a Very Bad Idea.
                  Thanks! I'll measure what I have out there. I think they are Fiat.

/\/\ac

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                    ... 29.0mm shims (from Kawasakis? Can't remember) ...
                    Yep, Kawasaki and Yamaha have used 29.0mm shims. I have a box of them for my son's Venture.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                    X