Am I crazy? Stuck float or super rich?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I crazy? Stuck float or super rich?

Here is something I sent to my bike mechanic friend tell me if I'm crazy or not.

Ok I went over my bike today again, this time in the day and with some proper sleep. I have concluded it's not the rings and I had feared. I think you had it all along with a stuck float or something similar. Here's why. When the bike is first run (5-10 min) there is absolutly no smoke at all, because the bike is cold and needs a richer mixture. After about 10 minutes it smokes when I let OFF the gas not on. Because there is not much air going through a closed throttle but still a *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$load of gas. After 15 mins the bike is getting hot enough to burn alot of the excess gas but not all so it slightly smokes less but still smokes. In addition the smoke is completely white, not blue at all. And if the rings on one of the cylinders is gone would it not smoke blue with power on? (higher oil pressure)

So my question to you is, does this sound right? And my second question is how much would it cost to supervise me taking the carbs off and apart? I may need help syncing them up or just some friendly advice. I've taken carbs apart many times so it's no big deal. The only problem is you may have to drink some beer.

Does my diganosis sound correct? Anyone?

Comment

white smoke is OIL If it was running rich it would be black smoke.
      White smoke while decelerateing usually indiates valve seal/guides
      white smoke all of the time would indicate rings/pistons

Comment

That's strange, the oil level is fine. It doesn't start to smoke untill its warmed up. I can also start the bike cold with no choke. hmmmm.

Comment

What year/model is this? Have you pulled the spark plugs to check their condition? That would be one of the first diagnostic steps to complete. It is unlikely that all cylinders are the cause of this problem, so narrow down the usual suspects list. Let us know how the plugs look.

Comment

Smoker...

Lynn is right on, the only exception is the valve seals I've seen bad usually smoke on startup, only after the oil in the head has drained down from them. If this is oil, it should smell like it. Rich (gas) has a totally different smell. Compression check time for you I'm afraid. Bob

Comment

Working...
            X