Front fork headlight assembly question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front fork headlight assembly question

I have a gs550L 1985 that I bought recently and have fixed up and been riding for a couple of months. The guy I bought if from must have replaced the front fork seals because the headlight mounts on each fork have about 1/8 inch of play travel on each side. How does one go about tightening that up. Do both top and bottom stearing stem and head push together to tighten that gap up? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Travis

Do you mean the brackets can slide up and down the forks a bit. If so then check all the parts were replaced when the brackets were refitted for the seal replacement. There are two parts below and above each bracket. There is a cushion and cover (that's what Suzuki call them). If these aren't in place then things will be sloppy. See diagram below.

Comment

Yes they move up and down a bit and I did check they both have a cushion and cover top and bottom on both sides. Is there any way of of sliding 1 and two closer together to take out the gap?

Comment

No I'm afraid there is no way this can be done. There is a thing called "steering head bearing adjustment". When you adjust the top nut (#21) down to take all of the play out of the steering head then that is as far as you can go. The top steering stem head (#1) just sits on the top of this large adjusting nut. It cannot go down any further. Even if it could be physically done it would jam the bearings and the front end would be extremely stiff to use. IT CANNOT BE DONE.
        Your best bet is to make up a thicker rubber cushion to take up the extra space. If it was me I would pull it all apart and check that it has been put back together properly. There could be something extra put in near the bearings that had lengthened the distance in there. Just have a good look and see what you can find. Do a proper steering head adjustment while you are in there.
        Last edited by Guest; 07-14-2009, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Mine have some play after steering stem bearing replacment. Don is right, really nothing you can do. I'm 99.9% sure my races are deep enough.

Comment

Working...
          X