Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear running lights not working

Hi there. Dumb question, again.

The two orange turn indicator lamps at the rear of the bike are suppose to be on at all times as running lights, like the two orange lamps in the front, correct?

I hardly ride at night but last night I noticed both my front left and right turn indicator lamps were on but not the rears. The rears work as turn indicators but are not on as running lights. My red lens "brake" light is on as a running lights and gets brighter when I apply the brakes.

Looks like I have some wiring tracing to do, eh? Any specific colors to look for or other tips?

The bike in question is in my signature with link to photos

Thanks,
    -Bob
    Last edited by Guest; 07-14-2009, 12:26 PM. Reason: Mention link to photos

I believe it is designed to work the way you describe.

Comment

No problem there, the yellow lights at the back are NOT supposed to be on, except when the turn signals are on.

Most states require any lights that are used as tail lights to be RED.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by mriddle View Post
        I believe it is designed to work the way you describe.
        Wow, seems kinda odd. I wish they were on all the time. Can I mod them to make them work? Seems they should be wired linked to and wired the same as the fronts.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          No problem there, the yellow lights at the back are NOT supposed to be on, except when the turn signals are on.

Most states require any lights that are used as tail lights to be RED.

Ah, that explains the Harley I noticed on my way home last night who had red lights on each side in the back.

Comment

If lights are always on in the rear, they MUST be Red, and must get brighter when the brake is depressed like a brake light (at least in my state), that's why the rear are NOT wired as running lights as stock.

Comment

Originally posted by littleroot View Post
              Can I mod them to make them work? Seems they should be wired linked to and wired the same as the fronts.
              Yes, you can mod them, but it will take a bit of work. The front lights have two filaments in each bulb. Only the turn signal filament in the front is connected to the rear signal. To add running/tail lights on the rear, you will also have to change the sockets and run a new wire for the new tail light filament.

You can get a kit from Electrical Connection that adds a ring of red LEDs inside your yellow lens that will give you tail light and brake light functions, without interfering with the turn signals. Not cheap at $50, but it's a great product.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Yes, you can mod them, but it will take a bit of work. The front lights have two filaments in each bulb. Only the turn signal filament in the front is connected to the rear signal. To add running/tail lights on the rear, you will also have to change the sockets and run a new wire for the new tail light filament.

You can get a kit from Electrical Connection that adds a ring of red LEDs inside your yellow lens that will give you tail light and brake light functions, without interfering with the turn signals. Not cheap at $50, but it's a great product.

Wow, that is so cool. I *might* just do this in the future, once I get the safety things sorted out, like new brake lines....

Thanks,
                -Bob

Comment

The idea of having more light in the rear to be seen has been in my mind as well... so one thing I've done for now was to add a couple small reflectors to the bottom of my license plate frame so it lights up better when someone comes from behind. Also added reflectors on each of my saddle bags for the same reason...

Comment

I'm actually moving in the opposite direction as I installed 2 wire front signals, so no longer have front running lights either.

Comment

Working...
                    X