Pushrod and gearshifting shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pushrod and gearshifting shaft

So I found out why it was dumping oil so badly: both the pushrod and gearshifting shaft are bent pretty badly, damaging the oil seals. I'd imagine that I should just get a new shaft and pushrod, but the parts seem to be discontinued (for a 1977 GS400). I did some looking around and it seems that I can get a similar pushrod from a 1987 GS450L, but I'm unsure if this is a good idea.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I don't know of any salvage yards in my area, so does anyone in eastern Mass. have a good place to go to?

Just how 'similar' are they? Look up both parts on a source like Alpha Sports that uses real Suzuki part numbers and compare them.
    If they are the same part number, go for it. If they are not, your guess is as good as ours what the difference might be.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

A good machine shop could always make a pushrod, for that to happen I would bet the chain broke or came off. The shaft comes out the clutch side DO NOT force it out. Get thr dremel out, Maybe cut the bent end off as close to the case as you can before trying to remove it
      Last edited by Guest; 07-14-2009, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blue View Post
        the parts seem to be discontinued (for a 1977 GS400).
        The pushrod still seems to be available on Alpha Sports website. $29.

Comment

Could try these guys:

Comment

Nice choice of bike!

By the way, I've had a pain changing the oil seal on that pushrod... I would recommend you do it now while you're in there, and check the main seal on the crankshaft to see if it needs replacing (run the engine with the chain sprocket off and watch for leaks).

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. Alpha Sports is a tremendous resource, much better than my local dealer in terms of prices. Thanks for pointing it out to me Don. Also, thanks for the heads up on the removal from the right side, Lynn, looks like indeed I'll have to get that dremel out.

I'll let you all know how the repair goes. Happy riding.

Comment

Originally posted by atchbo View Post
                Nice choice of bike!

By the way, I've had a pain changing the oil seal on that pushrod... I would recommend you do it now while you're in there, and check the main seal on the crankshaft to see if it needs replacing (run the engine with the chain sprocket off and watch for leaks).
                ATCHBO do you really mean crankshaft or gearbox mainshaft. Big job to do the crankshaft seal on that side. Alternator, starter clutch, rotor, all has to come off to get to that seal. Not something I would attempt.

Comment

Working...
                X