After it is warmed up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After it is warmed up.

Hi! New to this forum, and this is my first tread.
    I have a 1978 GS750E.
    Just had the carbs synced and jetted.
    Problem as best I can describe is-
    Bike starts great, let it warm up a few minutes, Go riding everything is good. After about 15/20 minutes the bike gives me a lot of trouble from a stop, wants to stall. Once you get in to it, it's fine. When I come to a stop and rev the engine on the way down it almost stall's. Could this be the head gasket starting to go bad?
    I ask because when the guy who put in the valve cover gasket was cleaning the engine it stalled when he sprayed degreaser in that area.

Have you pulled the plugs to have a look? Sounds like the bike was over jetted from what you describe ie. getting too much fuel.

Comment

Yeah, if I'm remembering correctly idle rising when warm is lean, idle dropping is rich.
      Last edited by Guest; 07-14-2009, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Depending too... a rich pilot setting will cause the idle to drop below desired RPM on a blip...but then it will slowly, if left sitting, rise to above desired RPM.... "Signing off" between shifts, or upon slowing to a stop is a sign of richness..

Comment

If he was spraying anywhere the intake you have a leak.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

What mods have been done to the bike that required the carbs to be "jetted"?

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The mods that were done- 4 into 1, and I'm told it has carbs from a Kawasaki. When I come to a stop it does idle fine. If I twist the throttle slowly (at a stop) it revs up fine and revs down fine. If I twist a bit faster it will bog a bit, but still rev up, and when it revs down it will almost die but will regain idle. It does none of this when I first start riding, only after about 15 minutes of riding. Could it be over heating?

Sorry it took so long to respond.

Comment

Not necessarily overheating, but I wonder what carbs were used from a Kaw?

Not saying that they won't work, but there are differences in the carbs from one make to another that make them work differently.

Since they are different carbs, any jetting suggestions you receive here might not work.
                The overwhelming majority of us still have stock carbs, so we know what works with them.
                When you start throwing in some unknown stuff, all bets are off.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Can you post up some pics of the carbs ?
                  Larry D
                  1980 GS450S
                  1981 GS450S
                  2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    Not necessarily overheating, but I wonder what carbs were used from a Kaw?

Not saying that they won't work, but there are differences in the carbs from one make to another that make them work differently.

Since they are different carbs, any jetting suggestions you receive here might not work.
                    The overwhelming majority of us still have stock carbs, so we know what works with them.
                    When you start throwing in some unknown stuff, all bets are off.

They are Mikuni carbs, I thought they were original but a trained eye told me other wise. I would love to but back original carbs but wouldn't know were to begin with that. The bike does run good once you get her rolling

Comment

Never trust anyone's eyes but your own.
                      Larry D
                      1980 GS450S
                      1981 GS450S
                      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                        Can you post up some pics of the carbs ?
                        I will post some pics, it won't be till Saturday, I am away from home.

Comment

Working...
                        X