No announcement yet.

'83 1100 crank bearing failure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pearson's will do what you need bro. Like I said, i just referred a buddy up there to have him remove a broken exhaust stud, and a compression gauge adaptor he managed to get stuck in the plug hole. On a GS850L. Not exactly a race bike Give him a call man, he might be able to help you out, without a full on crank build..

Comment

you get what you pay for.
      you are not going to find anyone thats worth a crap to do a complete disasembly/reassembly for under 500.00 labor..
      my price is over 500.00 for a complete rebuild(labor only).
      i disagree on the cases out of whack...
      i bet the cranks out of true and thats what caused the problems for the most part.
      whether its a 100hp crank or a 200hp crank will not affect the price of the labor much at all.
      buy a used crank and shove it back togather.

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
        Gary Clark is the other famous crank guy
        NOT true! Gary Clark DOES build a good crank but the other FAMOUS crank builder is Stan Gardner at GRC. Stan's # is 207-664-0377 but just know that he will be in the same price range as John Pearson. PLEASE, whatever you do, stay AWAY from Falicon!!! I have GOOD, usable, 83 cranks that will live if you are interested. If interested, call me at 714-356-7845. I'm not sure where you live but I am 3 blocks south of Disneyland & build LOTS of GS engines. Let me know if I can help. Ray.

Comment

Hi guys, I think I've got the same problem as the OP. In fact, I think I've had bearing failure on 2 GS1100E's this summer. I'm a little frustrated. I will most likely take the advice of many on this board and send one of the cranks to Pearson. It is certainly more money than I want to spend on a crank, but that is where we are at now. However, before I take this action can someone please take a look at the included images and confirm for me that these bearings are shot? (If interested you can see my original posting here, which includes a video of the sound the bike was making: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=142471)

Also, rapidray, if you have good working cranks for an 82 or 83, I would like to give you a call.

Thanks all, and I hope I'm not hijacking this thread.

Comment

i believe dirty oil or lack of oil changes or being ran low on oil ect...
            not by you but maybe a previous owner.
            the almuminum main bearing cages seem to do this before the steel cages do.
            IMO...
            the 83 GS1100E/ES started with the alm. cages and these continued through the 1150 production run.
            call john between 9-5pm EST.
            he could give you his opinion.937-839-9723

Comment

Originally posted by ika_squid View Post

Also, rapidray, if you have good working cranks for an 82 or 83, I would like to give you a call.

Thanks all, and I hope I'm not hijacking this thread.
              Call me at 714-356-7845. Ray.

Comment

Ray,

I bought a supercrank from Falicon back in 1996 for my 1150. Were they evil back then?
                GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                  Ray,

I bought a supercrank from Falicon back in 1996 for my 1150. Were they evil back then?
                  falicon is perfectly fine..just expensive.
                  they have been know to fib sometimes is all.
                  there's to many small guys out there that uses falicon's parts and does fine work.
                  support the little guy.
                  if you bought a supercrank...
                  you have a fine piece.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                    Call me at 714-356-7845. Ray.
                    My bearing looked similar, but only on 180 degrees of the face.
                    It had nothing to do with the oil, I am the original owner. Bike was impeccably maintained using synthetic.

I found a local machine shop referred to me that specializes on motorcycle cranks. We'll see how they do.

Comment

after seeing this my blue ED bike is officially not for sale anymore. I'm parting it out and keeping the motor as a spare. That is if it doesnt have a crank problem on its's wee 15K miles

Comment

Originally posted by droptail View Post
                        My bearing looked similar, but only on 180 degrees of the face.
                        It had nothing to do with the oil, I am the original owner. Bike was impeccably maintained using synthetic.

I found a local machine shop referred to me that specializes on motorcycle cranks. We'll see how they do.
                        Yes. Same here. The bearings were not worn and grooved all the way around - just on one side. I cannot attest to the maintenance on either of the of my motorcycles before I owned them. I only had the 82 for about a week before an irregular (semi-regular?) clanking noise presented itself. Perhaps I should have changed the oil first thing.

I believe I will take rapidray up on his offer, and purchase a good used crankshaft through him.

Comment

Working...
                        X