what a nice find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what a nice find

so today i'm driving up my street and i look in my nabour's driveway and what do i see
    a 1978 GS750 with a sign on it $100
    motor won't turn over
    tank is perfect all the bodywork is perfect it has never been dropped
    it has 12,000 original miles on it
    so i'm gonna buy it tomorrow i'll get it running for the wife for her to ride
    ohh and it has the stock exhaust on it that are in nice shape just a little surface rust and i mean a little so all in all a really sweet find
    any thoughts on the best way to break the engine free without tearing it down?

Originally posted by Spyderman View Post
    so today i'm driving up my street and i look in my nabour's driveway and what do i see
    motor won't turn over
    ohh and it has the stock exhaust on it that are in nice shape just a little surface rust and i mean a little so all in all a really sweet find
    Drop some MMO and some PBBlaster down the spark plug holes... I would try to turn it over by hand (19mm socket on the nut at the end of the crank on the ignition side) and try to FEEL where the lock up is. Those motors are pretty tough (straight cut gears, roller bearing crank, etc etc etc) so it may be locked due to something other than the crank or pistons seizing up. If it wont budge with some persuasion on the nut there, dont force anything. Let it soak in that MMO and PB and check it now and then..if its still stuck like chuck, it might have to come apart. BUT, no worries, i have all the parts you might need...heck i even have a whole motor

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
      Drop some MMO and some PBBlaster down the spark plug holes... I would try to turn it over by hand (19mm socket on the nut at the end of the crank on the ignition side) and try to FEEL where the lock up is. Those motors are pretty tough (straight cut gears, roller bearing crank, etc etc etc) so it may be locked due to something other than the crank or pistons seizing up. If it wont budge with some persuasion on the nut there, dont force anything. Let it soak in that MMO and PB and check it now and then..if its still stuck like chuck, it might have to come apart. BUT, no worries, i have all the parts you might need...heck i even have a whole motor
      well i haven't had a real good look it was only a 5 second once over and the kicker didnt move anything however it may have been in gear so i don't know yet
      ya i was thinking some MMO and some seafoam
      as for parts i would like a dual disk front end for it and some of the suzuki star mags it's gonna need tires
      it's gonna need a seat recover for sure
      if i do need parts i will shoot you a PM thanks

Comment

it's gonna need a seat recover for sure
        For future reference:

Nice find for sure...
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

motor won't turn over
          it's a 77 i went and had a closer look today the motor is ceased
          it needs brakes and tires to start with if i can get it un ceased
          so i'll have a bit of work ahead of me but i still think it's worth the $100
          here's the frame and engine numbers
          frame #GS750-19586
          engine #GS750-19546

any thoughts on this would be apreciated
          thanks

Comment

Once you get past the seized engine, here is another alternative for a replacement seat cover.

Yeah, it's worth $100. Just a bare frame with a title is worth that much, and look at all those 'extras' you got: tank, engine, wheels, body panels, etc., etc.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Damn you lucky!

You could easily part it out for several times that amount if you didn't feel like fixing it.

Comment

as i was reading a post a couple months ago, these finds come along once in a great while. I would have snatched it up in a heart beat. Good find for you.
                1979 GS850G
                2004 SV650N track bike
                2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Nice find.. can't wait to see a few pics of it

Comment

Nice Find...only thing my neighbor ever has in his driveway is trash or his cranky old self!!!! LOL

Comment

so i bought it tonight $100
                      wheeled it across the street and pulled the plugs to find that they were burning pretty well before it was stopped #1 was a little rich on the pilot but the other 3 were spot on so i poured 2 capfulls of seafoam down each cylinder and put the plugs back in and i'll let it sit for a day or 2
                      i went hunting for marvel mystery oil but it doesn't exsist up here that i can find so seafoam will have to do for now i hope it breaks free and i can then go to work on getting it running
                      the more i look at it i find that it is in great shape and is 100% stock
                      the tank is empty and totally free from rust it's perfect
                      i need to overhaul both breaks front and rear calipers and master cylinders
                      a chain
                      battery
                      clean the carbs
                      and tires
                      and clean up the electrics
                      i'm tempted to keep it totally stock
                      but i'm a little concerned about the exhaust it looks like it's in good shape
                      it's only got minor surface rust but i'm a little worried about the baffels but we'll see how it goes when i get there
                      so i think i know what seized it now
                      the tank is dry and the oil level is up by about 2 or 3 liters so i figured it leaked gas down the cylinders and the remnants of the gas turned to varnish and seized the pistons in place

Comment

My neighbor builds custom bikes I've asked him this before for a bike i purchased. He says in his experience you should spray enough PB Blaster in each spark plug hole to completely fill the cylinder and let it sit a day or two. Then try to slowly turn it over once you get it turned over do this again and let it sit again so the blaster can absorb into the metal walls and rings and piston. I did this after a V65 Magna sat several years and it turned over with alot of smoke and no issues. Good luck great find, good for you.
                        Hank is an amazing mahcanic. http://www.widowmakercdr.com/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by sachsaca View Post
                          My neighbor builds custom bikes I've asked him this before for a bike i purchased. He says in his experience you should spray enough PB Blaster in each spark plug hole to completely fill the cylinder and let it sit a day or two. Then try to slowly turn it over once you get it turned over do this again and let it sit again so the blaster can absorb into the metal walls and rings and piston. I did this after a V65 Magna sat several years and it turned over with alot of smoke and no issues. Good luck great find, good for you.
                          Hank is an amazing mahcanic. http://www.widowmakercdr.com/index.html
                          Good advice. Diesel will be just as good. It has penertrating properties but will lubricate better than blaster. Dont forget to change the oil when you've got it turning over though.
                          sigpic
                          Current bikes:
                          1982 GSX750EZ, 1989 CBR600F
                          Previous bikes:
                          More BSA Bantams than you can shake a stick at
                          Bultaco 350 Trials, BSA C15
                          1971 BSA B25SS Gold Star 250, 1969 BSA A65 Lightning
                          1976 HONDA CB750 K6

Comment

Originally posted by Stefnwolf View Post
                            Good advice. Diesel will be just as good. It has penertrating properties but will lubricate better than blaster. Dont forget to change the oil when you've got it turning over though.
                            And my fathers favorite concoction is 3-parts diesel and 1/2-part auto trans fluid and 1/2-part brake fluid. For the wet clutch application, you would either have to remove the clutch basket/plates or forgo the brake fluid.

Comment

Working...
                            X