Rear Shock Angle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Shock Angle

Got my MDI rear shocks yesterday. Initial impression after a short ride is very good but I'll post in the original thread after a few more miles. The ancient Konis I had on it were mounted in such a way that the top shock mounts actually sit outboard of the lower mounts so if you look at the back of the bike the two shocks are in a slight V pattern. In my mind they should be true vertical. Look at the back of your bike and tell me what you see. I feel that the top of the shock should be direct in vertical alignment with the bottom. I'm second guessing myself. Your thoughts?
    Thanks.
    Steve

Yep, vertical is correct.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I believe that's what the various flat washers are for on the top mounting bolts... to get the shocks aligned correctly...
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by chiphead View Post
        Got my MDI rear shocks yesterday. Initial impression after a short ride is very good but I'll post in the original thread after a few more miles. The ancient Konis I had on it were mounted in such a way that the top shock mounts actually sit outboard of the lower mounts so if you look at the back of the bike the two shocks are in a slight V pattern. In my mind they should be true vertical. Look at the back of your bike and tell me what you see. I feel that the top of the shock should be direct in vertical alignment with the bottom. I'm second guessing myself. Your thoughts?
        Thanks.
        Steve
        just a heads up, if your koni's aren't to bad (no pitting) they can be rebuilt and are a superior shock to mdi's stuff. Take a look at http://www.ikonsuspensionusa.com/servlet/StoreFront they are the old koni shocks renamed, so you should be able to get parts from them.
        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x
        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer View Post
          just a heads up, if your koni's aren't to bad (no pitting) they can be rebuilt and are a superior shock to mdi's stuff. Take a look at http://www.ikonsuspensionusa.com/servlet/StoreFront they are the old koni shocks renamed, so you should be able to get parts from them.
          Thanks. I may just run the mdis for now. I'll need to see what kind of $$ they want to rebuild the konis.

Comment

That is what the washers are for. Also, shocks will "settle" after some riding.

Comment

Originally posted by chiphead View Post
              Thanks. I may just run the mdis for now. I'll need to see what kind of $$ they want to rebuild the konis.
              you should be able to do it your self, would be spring removal, a seal replacement, flush of old oil, and maybe some internal rubber replacements.

I think the kits were about 40 bucks or so, but don't quote me.
              78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
              82 Kat 1000 Project
              05 CRF450x
              10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Working...
              X