Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Improving ergonomics

I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with this:

I'm trying to improve the ergos on my 1980 GS1000G. Besides the fit, I'm very happy with everything on the bike. What I do is once I get up to highway speeds, I actually use the passenger pegs.. I get a lot more room and the more leaned over position is comfortable for me. I've seen threads about people putting rearsets on their GSes, however that ends up being several hundred dollars, and requires access to welding equipment. I would like to do this as cheaply and easily as possible.

I do not currently have access to any welding equipment, however, that will probably be a necessity so I will see what I can do about that. Anyway, does anyone have any ideas on the cheapest way to relocate controls to the rear pegs? Any source of aftermarket shift rod extenders, etc.?

There's actually another mounting hole on the frame near the R side passenger peg.. I'm not sure what the purpose of it is? But if I could get a differently shaped rear brake pedal, I might be able to mount it there. Then, just for the left side, I would need to weld something to the frame to mount a shifter to. Or I suppose I could remove the L front peg and mount the shift lever backwards. However, I'd rather not have to get used to shifting in reverse... Any ideas?

"There's actually another mounting hole on the frame near the R side passenger peg.. I'm not sure what the purpose of it is?"

You shove a screwdriver through it to lock the rear wheel in a position off the ground for removal.

Comment

Ok, that wouldn't work then. Does anyone sell rearsets that could bolt to the mounting holes for the passenger pegs? Or other Suzuki parts that I might be able to find on ebay? I'd probably be willing to buy those, if it means I didn't need to weld a bracket to the frame. All I really need is a place to mount a shift and brake lever, and extension rod/brake actuator to hook them up.

Comment

i use these. they still make them for the old gs bikes. http://www.tarozzipaolo.com/indexnet.htm

Comment

us supplier (with prices) for same

Comment

So something like that would mount to the bolts for the passenger pegs, allowing me to replace them?

Comment

yeeeee, no. they move the front pegs back like the track racers do. you keep your pass pegs. look at posplayrs bike above, kinda like that. also do a google search on rear sets and youll get the idea.

Comment

Right, I know how rearsets usually work. I'm concerned that won't give me enough clearance though. The seat-peg distance is very short for me, whereas the seat-passenger peg distance is a lot more comfortable. I'm gonna go look at the passenger pegs to see if they mount up the same way that the rider pegs do. However, I'm concerned about the reach of the shift extension rod and the brake actuator.

Comment

i am 6'6" tall with a similar bike as yours and i have plenty of clearance, you could go to the Suzuki dealer and hop on a new gsxr and get a idea on the feel of rear sets before to buy them. i used to ride with my feet on the pass pegs on my old 82 gs1100l until a car ran out in front of me. now i keep my feet where they belong. a good set of rear sets will amaze you on how much they change your riding position.

Comment

Right, that's why I want to fix the ergonomics, I don't feel safe with my feet away from the controls. I'm 6'5" with a 36" inseam. Are you using these rearsets on your bike?

Comment

yes i am. i now use them on my gs1000 and my gs1000custom. i just ordered a set for my 831100e. once i got a set on it didnt feel right riding the other bikes without them. mid controls have there advantages but for long or short rides the rear sets are alot more comfortable.

Comment

And they just bolt on? By the way, thank you very much for the information and quick replies.

Comment

I'm gonna go look at the passenger pegs to see if they mount up the same way that the rider pegs do

They don't.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                            Tarozzi's will run about $250 to $300 unless you can find a used set. They are nice quality though. I had a dealer mechanic tell me that a set could be fabricated from standard Honda parts for a GS 1000, but he didn't say how. Maybe someone here will know about that.

Comment

Just got the rearsets today. Unfortunately, they don't fit. Seems like the Tarozzi rearset for 1978-1980 GS1000 is not inclusive of the GS 1000 G. Now I have to try to return them without paying the 20% restocking fee. Any options for the "G"?

Comment

Working...
                              X