Dent in gastank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dent in gastank

Is it possible to remove a dent in the tank ,( Tell me how) or must i buy another tank.Please adwise.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-16-2009, 08:41 AM.

I had some dents that I was able to pop out by sticking a tire iron in some of the various openings(gas ,petcock) and putting pressure on the dent from the inside. Others I used bondo.
    Also had limited success with those suction cups.
    That's three ways.

1978 GS1000C
    1979 GS1000E
    1980 GS1000E
    2004 Roadstar

Comment

Degree of success depends upon the severity of the dent. If there aren't any creases you should have pretty good luck. I've used a suction cup with major success and also one of those devices that involves dripping hotmelt adhesive on the surface, bonding a plunger of sorts to it and then pulling it out. If you use one of these type devices though be forewarned that they can also pull any decals off. Don't ask me how I know.
      Willie in TN
      Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
      '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
      '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
      '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

How bad is the dent? Pics? I know a guy...

Comment

Dent repair is easy…take the bike to the desert and drop a firecracker in the tank.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            Dent repair is easy…take the bike to the desert and drop a firecracker in the tank.
            Wow! Hey Ed, how big of a firecracker will I need for my tank? Or should I just leave the gas in it?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

3 M-80s should straighten that right up
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Wow Cliff !!

As much as I'm happy that you're on the mend, I really hate to see Jessie like that !!

Have you come up with a list of the damage and the parts she will need ?

I have a couple much smaller dents in my tank. I had a friend tell me to use marine epoxy. I haven't researched it yet, but it's supossed to be similiar to bondo to work with and won't ever shrink.
                Larry D
                1980 GS450S
                1981 GS450S
                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

That's far bejond my limited abity to deal with. If you can't find a good used tank, perhaps there's one out there that you can salvage the right side. I've grafted a Hyabusa filler cap on the 1100 and can tell you that the GS tanks are built with thicker sheet than the new bikes, so it makes them easier to weld, or braze depending on your preference.

Comment

Even on a creased dent, a body shop may be able to pull it out with a stud gun - they weld metal stud to the cavity, strap the tank down, then pull on the studs with a slide hammer. Sound easier than I think it is. (Mine was apparently about three hours of heavy labour.) Then standard body filler and finishing.

If you want that solution, you'll need to find a willing shop and clean the tank out well beforehand.

- Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Tompasio View Post
                      Is it possible to remove a dent in the tank ,( Tell me how) or must i buy another tank.Please adwise.

I had about a 3" dent in my tank, and I had it proffessionally removed. My bodyshop used a special "spoon" specifically made for motorcycle tanks. The spoon, and some gentil heat, and he got 90% of the dent out. I was VERY impressed!

My advice is if you are asking on the internet "how" to remove a dent, just leave the dent alone, cause i'm betting you will make it far worse than it already is....

Comment

Here is what mine looks like and no one I have talked to holds any hope of repair. I have acquired another tank which is Black and has a couple of dime size dents in it. Since mine doesn't leak and functions fine, I am riding it as is until funds to repair and paint the other one become available. Besides, a tank bag camos the damage pretty well.

sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                        2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
                          Here is what mine looks like and no one I have talked to holds any hope of repair. I have acquired another tank which is Black and has a couple of dime size dents in it. Since mine doesn't leak and functions fine, I am riding it as is until funds to repair and paint the other one become available. Besides, a tank bag camos the damage pretty well.

Hrmmm Scott, bang one just like that into the other side, and from that angle it ALMOST looks like a Bandit tank

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                            With or withOUT gas in it

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                              Hrmmm Scott, bang one just like that into the other side, and from that angle it ALMOST looks like a Bandit tank

Believe it or not, you are the second person to suggest that!
                              sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                              2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Working...
                              X