No announcement yet.

Dent in gastank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have also heard of the "plug it" and "blow it" method using compressed air as well..... no friggin' way would I ever try this... !

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Clam View Post
      I have also heard of the "plug it" and "blow it" method using compressed air as well..... no friggin' way would I ever try this... !
      Yup, very bad idea. It will spread the tank halves apart and the tank won't ever sit right on its mounts again. You'll also hear a tale about filling a dented tank with water and letting it freeze -- another really, really bad idea for the same reason.

My VX800 tank is pranged from my episode of pavement surfing, but holds fuel safely so I'm not going to mess with it. It's mostly covered by a tank bag anyway.

My GS850 had a fist-size dent in the top, but I was able to reach it and pop it out with a large lever. The paint cracked, but I just keep the area waxed to prevent rust. I'll probably never bother to repaint it.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        Yup, very bad idea. It will spread the tank halves apart and the tank won't ever sit right on its mounts again.
        That's exactly what will happen. I took a dented KZ900 tank to a bodyshop and they did the air compressor trick without me knowing about it. They tried to tell me it was like that when I brought it in. After nearly getting into a fist fight right there they conceeded to replace the tank with a used one.

Don't ever used compressed air on a tank.

Comment

Here are some pictures of my dents.

Last edited by Guest; 07-16-2009, 04:41 AM.

Comment

Tom, with those dents and their location, I would suggest one of two options.

1) Have them pulled using 'weld/tab' method (anytime you stick something through the filler neck you run the risk of denting it and causing fuel leaks under the cap) then body work and paint.

OR

2) find another tank.

Here's one that I did earlier this year and though there were no 'major' dents, the process is the same.

Comment

watch this..

There are others on there (youtube) if you search

http://www.denttime.com explains a brief training tutorial regarding paintless dent repair / removal on motorcycle tanks. To find out more about Dent Time on...

Comment

Dent King!
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                X