No announcement yet.

coil testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The bike seems to be running alright. It was just after doing the R/R replacement, I decided to start checking other parts of the electrical system. Right now the bike idles fine, the points are spot on with the timing light method and with the new plug caps everything acts like it is OK. However, when cold starting with a bit of choke, until it runs for a minute or two, I will get some popping noises out the left side exhaust.

I am getting ready right now to take it out for a thorough running and see how she goes.

If I can get it to keep running as long as the good weather lasts, I will be happy. Then when the cold weather season falls upon us here in Nebraska, I plan on taking all the wiring off and thoroughly clean everything with deoxit and put it all back together with dielectric grease.

I will be back with my findings after today's ride.
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1100GK
      Glad it is doing better.

Just keep in mind with your low voltage readings at the coils, it will only take a *small* amount of discharged battery to cause the coils to fire unreliably or not at all.

Was the 10.x readings with a fully charged battery? If your charging system isn't up to par, be sure to take a good pair of sneakers
      yes, battery was fully charged.
      charging system is working like a champ now since I put on the honda R/R from duaneage. No need for sneakers -- we have cell phones even here in Nebraska.

I hear you about riding as long as it runs...Just be sure to keep that trickle charger on the battery each night.

IMHO, priorities for reliability:

1. Coils getting max possibly voltage (uses every bit of voltage you have)
      2. Keep battery charged (trickle, or ideally good charging system)
      3. optimize charging system (short rides, use trickle charger in the meantime)

Hope this helps.

- JC
      Thanks. When I went for my 1st ride it sounded like crap until the engine warmed up. After less than 1/2 a mile, she started running really well. Tomorrow I will try at least one tank full of gas, maybe two just to see how confident I am with the old girl. Fingers crossed, but I think she is going to be alright for the rest of this season. Then some real fun over the winter: connections all cleaned and perhaps I will go ahead with the coil relay mod. This will give me more time to read up on that and hopefully I will be able to tackle it. Good to know I will have the help of everyone here if I need some.
      Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Ok, so she passed the road test today. Did one tankful of gas at various highway speeds from 60 up to 75 mph and not even so much as a hiccup out of the old girl. And the most amazing part was the mileage for the tank of gas. You guys might have trouble believing this but it calculated out to a whopping 47.28 mpg. No bad for a GS1000. My previous 850 would usually do around 44-46 mpg.
        I was stunned but happy as could be.

I do believe the bike is going to make it through the riding season now and we will tear into it this fall and winter and do some upgrades especially to the suspension but definately do the connection cleaning from front to rear and also add the coil relay mod.
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Working...
        X