Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Day one of reassembly or 2 steps backward.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day one of reassembly or 2 steps backward.

Got my carbs back from the suzuki shop (Iknow, stupid move) and my block back from the machine shop yesterday. put the motor together today. Used hose clamps for ring compressors. center pistons first. Went in like a dream, then realized the cam chain tensioner was still flipped forward under the block. So back off comes the block. Think those darn pistons would go back in? After much cussing and running from one side of the bike to the other the block finally went on. Threw the head on, no problem. torqued it down, threw in the cams, torqued down the cam caps. Adjusted the valves. OK, ready to slap the valve cover on, and...wait a minute. Where did that cam end plug go?? I know they were all there when I painted the head. I popped them all on the head last night. Searched the garage for an hour with a drop light. under everything, scoured the floor and the workbench and the toolboxes. Nada. Oh fudge. The only place left it could be is in the motor somewhere.
    Off come the cam caps, out comes the exhaust cam. There it is! stuck under the exhaust cam in the corner over the #4 cylinder. Couldn't see it under the cam with the drop light, I looked there. Anyway, at least the head didn't have to come off. ( Worse thought is it went in the da** bore when I put the head on.)
    Anyway, back together, on with the valve cover, threw on the stock exhaust for a test fire, put the rack of carbs on, drop the tank on, start crankin her over and....the carbs are leaking gas all over my newly painted transmission.. Pulled the carbs off and blow through the fuel line while the carbs are upside down and there is a leak from the fuel rail where it exits the #2 carb to feed the #1 carb. My front sprocket cover is now vertically striped black/aluminum. Why do I bother?

Mister Murphy sure is having his way with you.
    Hope tomorrow is better.

Comment

Geez, it didn't even catch on fire? Whaddya compaining about?
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

What'd you use for paint?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

would you have it any other way, boy the stories you'll be able to tell.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            What'd you use for paint?
            +1 If you didnt use a good brand of MOTOR paint, designed for higher temps (500* plus) and let it set for a day or so, that will happen. If you use Duplicolour or PJ1 or the like, it shouldnt have been effected by some gas. Unless of course it wasnt cured yet.

Comment

PJ1 engine paint is great stuff, but it needs engine heat to cure. Pretty stanky for a couple of weeks.

So if it hasn't been run yet, I can see where gas would strip the paint off.

I've also found that PJ1 blends and levels with itself really well. Degrease the engine and spritz it again with paint, and it'll probably look great from more than two inches away.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Well, it's actually barbeque grill paint. Rustoleum. It's what I could find at wally world. Looked really good, semi glossy, but the motor was never run to heat cure it at all, and it was only a couple days old. No biggy. I'll just spray over it. It does seem to feather pretty well. Got the R.R. from electrosport today. Still no replacement stator. I HATE waiting!

Comment

I had to pull my cylinder block back off twice, and take the cams back off once as I was assembling. In the end, a little stupid tax. Well worth paying as long as in the end they get put on right.

Comment

Working...
                  X